DIR- Generic Tdi Normoxic trimix or CCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR has done so much for diving safety and standards over the past couple of decades. It now needs to catch up with reality.

The future is CCR. That is the new DIR — and not "that" box.

For the OP; keep practicing. Two deco cylinders is great for extended diving to, say, 40m/130ft — subject to your own tolerance to narcosis. For example an hour at 40m and the 50ish mins at decompression. All of those skills are completely transferable to CCR should you so choose.

If I had a nickel for every time someone posted in this forum about how DIR needs to change this or that or the next thing...

We have the entirety of the rest of scubaboard to discuss how you would do it. I suggest we use that. If we pollute this forum with non-DIR answers simply because you don't like the DIR answers, this forum will serve absolutely no useful purpose.
Does not DIR evolve? Take sidemount as an example. It is now part of the GUE curriculum after C2. I might be mistaken, but did not the requirements for CCR change in the past few years? As an agency, GUE seems to me quite cautious and spends a lot of time working out the kinks with any changes it makes to its system. And that is a good thing, but does not preclude discussion.

We are faced with an unfortunate reality of increased helium costs that make CCRs more cost effective each year.

DIR has done so much for diving safety and standards over the past couple of decades. It now needs to catch up with reality.

The future is CCR. That is the new DIR — and not "that" box.

For the OP; keep practicing. Two deco cylinders is great for extended diving to, say, 40m/130ft — subject to your own tolerance to narcosis. For example an hour at 40m and the 50ish mins at decompression. All of those skills are completely transferable to CCR should you so choose.
Will do thanks. Im a warm water diver. Done 26mins 52m not yet narced

If I had a nickel for every time someone posted in this forum about how DIR needs to change this or that or the next thing...

We have the entirety of the rest of scubaboard to discuss how you would do it. I suggest we use that. If we pollute this forum with non-DIR answers simply because you don't like the DIR answers, this forum will serve absolutely no useful purpose.
If I had a nickel for every gue diver who was diving deeper then 100 feet or 30 meter without helium…

Does not DIR evolve? Take sidemount as an example. It is now part of the GUE curriculum after C2. I might be mistaken, but did not the requirements for CCR change in the past few years? As an agency, GUE seems to me quite cautious and spends a lot of time working out the kinks with any changes it makes to its system. And that is a good thing, but does not preclude discussion.

We are faced with an unfortunate reality of increased helium costs that make CCRs more cost effective each year.

Sidemount isn't exactly the best example for illustrating how DIR has evolved. Even GI3 spoke of the appropriateness of sidemount depending on the dive. If it is the right tool for the job, then it is supposedly DIR. It just took many years for GUE to create a class for it. Side note: Personally, I think sidemount just for the sake of sidemount is stupid. Like in open water. Regardless of whether or not one has taken sidemount training from GUE. Different topic for a different day though.

I do agree that GUE training evolves. However, setting aside the subtle difference between what is DIR and what training GUE offers, what we know today is that one cannot take any kind of rebreather class from GUE unless one has taken at least Tech 1 (21/35 or 18/45 with one deco gas). Whether you like that answer or not, that is the answer today.

All the above aside, my main issue in this thread is not even how you guys decide to dive. I don't know why you choose your approach. And honestly, its none of my business. My issue here is that many are giving all kinds of answers, most of which are not based on DIR philosophy. This even after being politely reminded of what forum you are in. And in case there is ambiguity around what advice I find objectionable:

- Deep air ain't DIR
- Nickel rocketry ain't DIR

I appreciate that there are many different ways to dive. However, there are like 15 other places in scubaboard to discuss the virtues of recreational CCR, deep air, solo diving, pony bottles, spare airs and every other idea under the sun. Do we really need the DIR forum for that too, especially considering none of those ideas are DIR?

Will do thanks. Im a warm water diver. Done 26mins 52m not yet narced
I would not want to have to respond to an emergency at 8 g / L.
Sidemount isn't exactly the best example for illustrating how DIR has evolved. Even GI3 spoke of the appropriateness of sidemount depending on the dive. If it is the right tool for the job, then it is supposedly DIR. It just took many years for GUE to create a class for it. Side note: Personally, I think sidemount just for the sake of sidemount is stupid. Like in open water. Regardless of whether or not one has taken sidemount training from GUE. Different topic for a different day though.l
Ok, we can discuss it another day in another forum. Or not.
I do agree that GUE training evolves. However, setting aside the subtle difference between what is DIR and what training GUE offers, what we know today is that one cannot take any kind of rebreather class from GUE unless one has taken at least Tech 1 (21/35 or 18/45 with one deco gas). Whether you like that answer or not, that is the answer today.
But wasn't the requirements prior to T2 being a requirement? My memory could be incorrect on that.
All the above aside, my main issue in this thread is not even how you guys decide to dive. I don't know why you choose your approach. And honestly, its none of my business. My issue here is that many are giving all kinds of answers, most of which are not based on DIR philosophy. This even after being politely reminded of what forum you are in. And in case there is ambiguity around what advice I find objectionable:

- Deep air ain't DIR
- Nickel rocketry ain't DIR
I learned a new term today.
I appreciate that there are many different ways to dive. However, there are like 15 other places in scubaboard to discuss the virtues of recreational CCR, deep air, solo diving, pony bottles, spare airs and every other idea under the sun. Do we really need the DIR forum for that too, especially considering none of those ideas are DIR?+++++
I think this is more of a discussion on the potential evolution of GUE training that may be forced to reflect the reality brought about by ever increasing costs of helium. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ and the others at the top at least discuss it.

yes i understand.. not ideal... hence this post...
While I am a TDI normixic trimix diver, CCR air DIL, I would like to go back, put my doubles together, get a GUE tech fundies pass and take T1, as GUE covers a lot of stuff that others don't (unless they seriously augment their courses).

I'd suggest at least taking fundies and carrying over the learning to whatever you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom