Teach me about SMB's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Your Halcyon 6' with the SOLAS tape looks pretty much like my XSscuba SMB's. Same anti-dump feature"

Except I think the Halcyon has a superior inflate nipple. Do you have to depress the the XS (quick disconnect) nipple?

The Halcyon you don't. One of the reasons I will pay the money.

(the Halcyon is like 3 or 4 million dollars. :))

Actually $127.00

"Your Halcyon 6' with the SOLAS tape looks pretty much like my XSscuba SMB's. Same anti-dump feature"

Except I think the Halcyon has a superior inflate nipple. Do you have to depress the the XS (quick disconnect) nipple?

The Halcyon you don't. One of the reasons I will pay the money.

(the Halcyon is like 3 or 4 million dollars. :))

Nah, they put a little cap on it, easy to inflate. But it too will knock quite a few quid out of your wallet. :)

lol..
Thanks. I was wondering.

Although I generally try to avoid Halcyon gear, just to block the stereotype, I love their SMBs. The oral inflate nipple is easy to use in warm water and cold, can be hooked to an LP hose, and the overpressure valve comes off for easy rinsing.

One thing I feel it's important to mention: storage. It's simply amazing to have the biggest sausage on the boat (joke intended) but if your storage method leaves something to be desired :( and you lose your sausage :idk: mid-dive, what good does it do?

Case in point: Diver has a 6' SMB, but a small, cheap pocket that constantly opens up and spills his sausage out :blush: so he may lose it one day, and don't forget that his reel is clipped to the outside of the pocket and flops around :errrr: and is prone to coming loose on the boat, without his knowledge. No Deal, right??

I wholly recommend some form of spacious pocket that can fit the rolled SMB and appropriate fingerspool, so your sausage and reel are never flopping out. :grinjester:

Peace,
Greg

I had a related question. I have a DAN SMB, but it applies to any SMB with a LP inflator.

To fill it do you disconnect your power inflator hose to use? I've never tried disconnecting an LP hose mid-dive as I get the general impression that suddenly opening the end of a pressurized hose is a bad idea. This is the only LP hose I can think of that can be used for SMB inflation.

I personally like the hundred dollar plus ones.

I shoot 1M (6#), 1.5M (40 #) and 2M (52#) from depth. I want it up there when I leave the bottom so surface support can mark me and also as protection from other boats.

The 1M is way undersized IMO to be easily visible. too narrow to be easily spotted. (about as big as the one in your link.) I keep it as a backup.

Whenever I post the attached link, the thread dies. But when you see the location of the boat, you'll understand why I have a big one.

JDC032.flv video by mm2002_bucket - Photobucket

After watching that vid, as much as I hate em, a flag and float seems more appropriate.:wink: That's a long way from the boat.

I use a 1m cheapo, oral inflated, no overpressure ( above 30' inflate more than half, 30' - 50' half or less depending depth, 60+ 1/3 or less) I use a marker spool with 120' of line. I've only deployed twice once for practice and once for real to surface due to separation. I often need to tow a flag/float so I don't carry it all the time. The whistle that came with it is cool too.

I had a related question. I have a DAN SMB, but it applies to any SMB with a LP inflator.

To fill it do you disconnect your power inflator hose to use? I've never tried disconnecting an LP hose mid-dive as I get the general impression that suddenly opening the end of a pressurized hose is a bad idea. This is the only LP hose I can think of that can be used for SMB inflation.

BC inflator hoses have a valve in the quick disconnect that will close when it's disconnected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom