Teaching family. Good or bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if this should go in "Basic", but I figure here I can hear from both the instructors/DMs as well as the "student side".

My brother is coming back to the US in a few weeks after his Army commitment is up and wants me to teach him to dive, (I'm an instructor, so it would be legit). I told him I would and I feel comfortable that I could teach him well and get him down the right path from the get-go.

My concern is that, well, he's family, and sometimes when teaching family a skill-set, it can be "too close" and emotions and arguments and other crap can get in the way, inhibiting learning.

Our dad was a pilot and a CFI, and when I was younger I told him, "you could teach me to fly!"

He turns to me and goes, "no way. You're my son, it's 'too close'. I'll pay another instructor and not even think twice."

(I never wound up learning for a variety of reasons, but anyhow...)

I am wondering if anyone here has ever taught family to dive, whether it was brother, sister, cousin, parent, or significant other, and what your thoughts are on it? Of if anyone was taught by family and if it was good to go, or if they would have rather gone to a third-party.

Should I teach him, or have one of our other instructors do it?

Try to find a way to hook him up with another instructor for cheap if he's willing to. Then, offer to be his first dive buddy :) While diving itself could be a great bonding experience, any stress you experience from the experience of one brother teaching another could undo things. Just play it safe if possible and once he's certified keep him diving, he'll thank you later :)

I would also agree. I am not a SCUBA instructor, but I have tried to teach family other skills and it has always been stressful. Its difficult to try to correct someone that is so close to you. Too many times it may be seen as a personal attack rather than you trying to help.

I recently had the experience of trying to do a refresher with someone who had, in the past, been a very close friend. It was a mess. I found my professional judgment constantly being tainted by my desire to have things work out well because the student was my friend. I do not think it's a good idea to teach people where your motives are complicated. (BTW, I ended up telling her I didn't think she should dive any more. It was an incredibly hard thing to do.)

I am currently teaching my wife OW. We have an agreement that if it proves too contentious for either one of us we'll happily pay for someone else to take over training. Thus far it is going well, although I think this will be the one and only family member I train.

Michael

It's not always the case, but relationships do get in the way of the instructor-student dynamic ... and as a result, what is offered as constructive feedback often gets received as criticism.

I used to be a ski instructor. I tried teaching my (then) wife how to ski. It was hopeless ... she'd take everything I told her badly. So I asked another instructor friend of mine to take her skiing and work with her on some technique issues. At the end of the day she was raving about what a great instructor he was. When I asked her what he told her, it turned out to be exactly the same things I had tried talking to her about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would never teach a family member or partner to dive. Never have, never will. It's too difficult to establish a proper instructor-student relationship.

I think it depends on the dynamic between your brother and yourself. I would never teach my kids to dive- I had them taught by fellow instructors. I am teaching my son to drive, however. If you and your brother have a relationship that is clear about the teacher-student positions and expectations, you will have a great time. That is often hard to achieve with close family and friends.

I would say I am glad I am not you right now, having to make this decision and plan. Good luck.

Two divorces taught me never try to teach a wife anything new. Adding to their knowledge can work if they already have the basics. My GF was in the rescue class I taught last weekend and it worked well. But then she was already a good diver when we met and there were 7 others in the class. She was buddied up with a good friend and I'd trust him with my life. When my son got certed I was a DM and still had to step back. I was nervous and overly critical (in my head anyway) of how he did some of the skills. I had to realize that it was hard for him to do some of them they way I did because while he is ok around the water, I was raised with a pool. He was not.

MY brother has asked me to teach him several times. But he always finds some way to throw a wrench into even starting. We are not that close but our personalities clash after too much time together. He also does not seem to understand that I'm not going to tone down or shorten my methods to meet his schedule. Most recently he asked me about two months ago. That is not going to happen as he has had some things come up that will preclude him from taking classes for oh 6-9 months depending on what the judge says:shocked2:. Celebrating a new job can delay many things if you overdo it and drive.:depressed:

I am not an instuctor (yet)
my wife wanted to start diving, so I helped her out a bit on the side,
and I hired the best instructors I could find, both for her OW and AOW courses,
after this she is my #1 dive partner, and we always help each other improving skils,
and we also repeat some of the most important skils in pools when we get access to one,
stying confident with all skils and keep improving and learning new things all the time is important.

If I had been a very experianced and very skilled instructor, I would not see any problems teaching my wife,
she is a perfect student !
But I can not say the same if it was my brother, we will maybe end up in a fight.. man and we are tool old for that stuff any more.

Back
Top Bottom