Teaching nothing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm placing this is basic scuba instead of instructor-to-instructor for the reason that I'd like feedback from divers of all levels, from not even certified yet to experienced instructors.

Now I do take open water instruction seriously, but still make sure it is fun, and convey concepts in a way that students will remember them.

In my opinion, the most important thing a diver must be able to do is to remain motionless at a fairly constant depth (depending on the length of their breath cycle, they will ascend and descend slightly). But when you really think about it, it is important for a student to do what exactly? That's right! Nothing!

It is my job to first weight my students properly, which as I have said many times includes weight distribution so that the student can float horizontal effortlessly with little change in depth. Second, it is my job to teach my students how to do this (and I'm in the process of ways to improve that).

For students that saw Seinfeld when it aired (US, Gen X and later), I think they'll remember this. What about the idea of doing nothing as to understand what buoyancy control is all about?

I like it. When I started out, the more I moved, the more I did, the more I tried to be neutral, the worse I got.
If you do "nothing" you should be able to tell pretty quick if you're weighted properly.
So it sounds like a reasonable and easy way to address the concept early on.

Getting students (and old sea horse style divers) flat in the water is an excellent goal. Many wear tanks too high and integrated weights with whatever is thrown at them. I love the idea of new divers starting off without the added stress of extra weight and awkward positions due to bad weighting. Keep em flat and blowing bubbles and they'll keep our passion alive.

Starting with being able to do nothing - level and midwater - is important. Then you can choose when to do something, instead of always randomly doing things.

Like a quiet mind and body.

In my opinion, the most important thing a diver must be able to do is to remain motionless at a fairly constant depth (depending on the length of their breath cycle, they will ascend and descend slightly). But when you really think about it, it is important for a student to do what exactly? That's right! Nothing!

Why is that important? What benefit is there for the diver from being able to remain motionless at any depth? How does it directly affect their safety or enjoyment of the dive? Why does it have to be this exact? As long as the diver can/knows how to control their buoyancy and doesn't crash into the coral or other things u/w and can up or down when they want/need to, why does it matter to be so precise/exact? What evidence do you have to buttress your argument/thesis here?

Inquirer minds want to know :)

Start your own thread on your topic of you wish. If you do not wish to participate in a discussion on my topic, then please do not participate at all.
So what you mean is that you only want positive feedback?
Staying motionless in trim is a useless skill at open water level.

I want my owd students to be aware of their environment, gear and to build confidence, not get backcramps from simulating decompression stops.

So what you mean is that you only want positive feedback?

Mod Edit

I disagree. I teach my students to move slowly in the water to maximize their bottom time and enjoyment of their dive.

If you do not address the difference between the center of mass with the center of displacement, then what happens when the diver stops moving?

If they are head heavy, their feet drop, possibly hitting coral, more likely if they start finning. Few people are head heavy.
I want my owd students to be aware of their environment, gear and to build confidence, not get backcramps from simulating decompression stops.
Do you teach them to keep moving? Why not stop to smell the roses? There are a lot of small critters to be enjoyed and this is enabled by proper weight distribution.

There is a big, big difference between staying motionless in trim and stopping to smell the roses.

There is a big, big difference between staying motionless in trim and stopping to smell the roses.
I think we will have to agree to disagree. As the bottom is normally flat, being horizontal and still allows one to observe sea life that people who are foot heavy and have to keep finning cannot.

hmmmm .... no
Being able to stay motionless, in trim, is an excellent skill to learn for an OW student. Being able to "hover",allows you to use less gas. When you are finning, if the rest of your body remains motionless, and in trim, you will use less gas. I have watched a few new OW students, hands all over the place, trying to get into trim. It did not work out well, and low and behold, they were out of gas relatively fast. The more you are moving, the more gas you will need to use.

Back
Top Bottom