Tech Cave Course Feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I will be posting this in the non-private forums too. Not sure where, some ideas would be nice. The reason is I want to give some of my experiences to potential cavers. Maybe some of this info can be used elsewhere. I appreciate any feedback and apologies for my writing skills.

Technical Cave Diving Course Experiences: ajduplessis 16-22 May 2012
I wanted to write a detailed report of my experiences and doings during my technical cave training last week, but decided to shorten it a lot and wanted to talk more about what I felt and learned. The other bit is that I suck at writing stories :(

More importantly wanted to give those that consider cave diving to get a feel of where you should be as a diver before attempting to do cave. I my modest opinion, cave diving is the pinnacle of executing your diving skills and knowledge.

• The very first thing I want to highlight is that I had (still have) a healthy respect for this past time. I other forms of diving you can “get away” with “little” things, but not in cave.
  • The second thing I want to mention is that there are few things in life that will reward you as much as cave diving. If you don’t know who you are or how you will react under pressure then cave diving will clear this up for you very quickly.

Everything started Tuesday last week for me. Our course was at Komati Springs (aka Badgat) which is a flooded asbestos mine (186m or 610ft). This is also where Don Shirley and David Shawn became friends and did their practice to recover the body from Boesmangat before David’s death.

I mostly dive doubles with an isolator, BP/W, long hose, drysuit, can light and the rest of the DIR/hog “bells and whistles”, thus the equipment and associated skills was nothing new for me.

Lesson 1 (Equipment)
My buddy during the course came from a different equipment setup and had a very steep learning curve. Entering a new environment, with new equipment or configuration and new workloads will “destroy’ your confidence; I don’t care how good you are. My message here to potential cavers is:

• Have the right gear and configuration before attempting cave. Be proficient with the required skills for this equipment, like valve drills and air sharing with a long hose.
  • Have exceptional buoyancy control and very controlled breathing. Any shortfall here will make it really difficult for you. Example to no-cavers: Can you do a proper valve drill within a 6ft depth margin with no support above or below you?? Can you do a 60ft no mask OOA swim towards buddy, start sharing air and then continue swimming (exiting cave) while sharing air? These are some of the more “simple” skills require for cave.
  • I also want to mentioned lights. Get PROPER lights and use a can light as primary. I will cover this next.
  • Have the right reels and know how to use them. Primary cave reel(s) and at least 2 finger spools

Lesson 2 (Lights)
One of the skills during the course is "lost diver". During this skill you obviously need to start searching for you buddy, but you also need to leave a backup light (as beacon) and spare gas if you can before you start the search. During this skills session it became quickly evident that OW lights are firstly underpowered (weak) and secondly don’t last (burn time).

We also did some line work. The biggest problem here was divers with no-can lights. You want a light that you can quickly hang around your neck to free you hands and also provide downward lighting while doing work. You also want to remove any possible entanglement from anything still attached to your hands as you work with the line.

• Use a proper can light as primary
  • Use proper, high burn time backups lights. Do not compromise here, when the lights go out (and you will do this during training) you will truly understand what darkness really is.

Lesson 3 (Line work)
This is the backbone of diving, without a “bread crumb trail” to lead you out of the cave you are lost and therefore “dead”. A lot of work is done on land to explain how to handle the reel, how to make tie-offs and wraps. Once you move underwater things change and the line behaves very differently.

On one of the dives the line became “entangled” (simple line-over with twist or 2) on a Halcyon reel while entering the cave in 50ft of water. Not very deep or difficult problem; is it? The reel-man struggled for some time (5min plus) before turning the dive and rolled the line over the reel body and exited. On land the “entanglement” took 3 seconds to resolve. My message:

• Simple things can and will become ‘big” problems under water. Expect this and think ahead.
  • Stop, breath and then act. Slow is fast!

Lesson 4 (Fitness & Strength)
On our last dive that involved lost buddy and lost line drills while exiting the cave our instructor indicated that our “sheep herder” (ghost buddy) was missing. The objective was to locate and rescue him from the cave. 190lb diver in double 120’s, 2x ALI80 stages acting very well will test your physical ability to the limit.

• Become fit, flexible and in good shape. These are not just good for diving but will also add value to your personal life and when you become older.
  • Being fit will help reduce stress and improve breathing rates

Lastly, when the lights go out and the darkness sets in, only then will you know what you are made off. Cave diving is one of the most humbling experiences I have had. It is also the most rewarding form of diving. Entering a cave and exploring new areas in crystal clear water and exiting is a truly rewarding experience. I can’t wait to get back in!!!!

ajduplessis

You have been bitten. The cave bug is an exotic creature with a punishing venom. Their is no cure. Enjoy it.

Which agency and course was this? I was expecting something a little different from the title. Sounds like you had fun, though--congratulations.

Honestly, one of the things I like about the GUE Fundamentals class is that it is an opportunity, in open water (which is available most places) to gain facility (and to be evaluated on that facility) with many of the basic cave skills.

We did our cavern and Intro classes with a fellow who was a very nice guy, but a low experience diver who had transitioned into doubles for the class. Peter and I had done Fundies, and I think we had our tech passes at that point, although I don't really remember. In any event, we were both comfortable in doubles, with a canister light, and could do air-sharing and mask-off swimming (which flummoxed our classmate). We had taken a wreck workshop at home that taught us the basics of reel handling and making tie-offs. In our cave class, we could focus on the things which are truly CAVE; coping with the darkness and the possibility of zero viz, and maintaining awareness of the line and exit.

I strongly encourage ANYONE who is interested in cave diving to take a class like Fundies -- UTD Essentials, or Intro to Tech -- to gain comfort and smoothness with basic diving skills in a cave configuration, before you present yourself for cave training. It helps a LOT, and allows your instructor to focus more on the issues you will encounter as a cave diver, and less on remediating your basic diving skills.

AJduplessis, congratulations on your class, and my commiseration on having contracted cave disease. There is no cure, and the only treatment is frequently swimming into dark holes in the ground :)

@rongoodman IANTD Technical Cave

It sounds like you did Cave/Tech Cave together. I did mine as an upgrade to my previous Cave cert, so we mostly just dealt with stages and deco procedures.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom