Tech Diving Under 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J,

My mother always said that the devil knows more because he is Old, than because he is the Devil.
Listen to the crowd! Take your time and do things right. Diving Tek is about experience and knowledge. Do not rush into things. Doing that can get you hurt in a flash.

Dive safe!
T

another thing to consider is that diving isn't a race, and there's no award for the youngest tech diver...

If you want to try the DIR route, take DIR-F. You can be 16, and it will teach you things that you NEED for this stuff, whether you want to be a "DIR diver" or not. I wish I had taken it sooner. Its a great intro to the gear and procedures that all advanced diving uses, and its a gateway into GUE's tech classes.

Go dive and have fun!

privte frist class aj
when did you get your combait medic how long where u in iraq did u take any fire why there?

Are you being limited by gas comsumption or NDLs? Using EAN 30 (common NC mix), you can get some decent bottom time. Have you taken recreational wreck and deep classes? You are lucky to be living close to such great diving - just get out there and dive.

Jacobi,
I was turned onto scuba in my middle age life; wish I learned as a teen and had the advantage of taking my time.
My instructors consider me a fast tracker, at 45 I figure I have 5-8 years of “Tech Diving” left before I am over the hill and back to recreational limits.
A few things I have noticed about transitioning to the tech side:

1st and a major factor: Tech diving and training is expensive! Entry-level classes were in the $400 range and advance was in the $7-800 range per class. Gear (sets of doubles-40s,80s-lights-scooter….) Thousands of $$$ as well as maintenance of your equipment. Let alone that a Tech dive is normally 2-3 times the cost of a rec dive when you consider charter costs and mix gases.
And then, of course you will want to get some overhead training, Cave classes will run you another $6-1500. The $10 thousand + figure is very realistic.

2nd More bottom time has penalties associated with it. Deco, Overhead, Task loading, Ascent rates, recognizing limits and having the maturity to obey those limits, …. freaking out here usually results in either pure luck, a chamber ride, or painful death.

3rd Finding teammates. Rec trips are almost always available, finding buddies for a tech trip are always more difficult to arrange. More than not this last year I had mix in my tanks, got blown out and was invited on a ~100’ rec dive. It is hard to justify sucking down a $45 fill in a quarry or on a reef. I usually opted out of these dives, which I regret as rec dives are lots of
fun too.

Like others have said, you have plenty of time. Practice your skills and include stops just as you would during a deco dive. Bouyancy is a key skill for tech diving. Work on getting your sac rate down (it will save you a lot of $ and frustration) FIND A GOOD MENTOR

Tech diving requires lots of planning, start planning now so when your 18 you will have all your ducks in order to enjoy you’re training and diving experiences.

Wish I was 16 yo aspiring tech diver!

diveh3:
Jacobi,
I was turned onto scuba in my middle age life; wish I learned as a teen and had the advantage of taking my time.
My instructors consider me a fast tracker, at 45 I figure I have 5-8 years of “Tech Diving” left before I am over the hill and back to recreational limits...

I know some "tech divers" older than 50-53. You should have a few more years than that.

I had about 50 dives when I was thinking that tec diving was for me but was also 33years old. Now I have 150+ and just starting my tech training. The $$$$$$$$ are high but it also entails alot of studying and the more you think you know the more you find out you dont know. Your time at your age would be better spent on your school work. And get a good job to pay for your tec stuff. Before some chick can put a hook in ya. And the DIR F class is a good call and not a lot of money. Plus it will save you from buying alot of junk gear that you will have to E-bay. Trust me I did it. OUCH EVEN MORE $$$$$$$$$$. ANY ONE GOTA MATCH

if you take the dir-f course (or something similar), then take it in doubles. in fact, it might be a good idea to start diving in doubles already, just rec dives to get used to them of course. in addition, a lot of tech divers service their own regs, so you might want to look into learning how to do that. you can also buy course books for tech courses and other books for deco diving and start familiarizing yourself with the material and equipment involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom