Tech Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mac_diver

Reaction score
I know that most of you are GUE trained (or so it seems). However I would like to know what other agencies offer good (safe) tech training. I'm interested in deep wreck diving. I know that I need to take deco, adv. nitrox, and trimix I, II, & etc. What other cousres should I take to learn proper finning technicques, wreck line usage, etc.? Also as I move into tech diving is it worth considering switching to a rebreather?

macdiver:
I know that most of you are GUE trained (or so it seems). However I would like to know what other agencies offer good (safe) tech training. I'm interested in deep wreck diving. I know that I need to take deco, adv. nitrox, and trimix I, II, & etc. What other cousres should I take to learn proper finning technicques, wreck line usage, etc.? Also as I move into tech diving is it worth considering switching to a rebreather?

I would bet that most of the divers are not GUE trained. Simply it is a relatively small agency and as such certifies fewer divers. However when moving to the technical realm you MUST interview your potential insturctors this has been gone over time and time again the instructor makes the course not the agency. Make sure that your instructor candidate is up to date in current gear rigging and diving philosophy, also get referances and talk to other divers that may have received training from him/her!! Look to GUE, Tdi, Iantd etc...all of which have good and not so good instructors :)

Good luck in your tech diving journey!

I know everyone says instructor, instructor, etc. But then alot seem to talk up GUE especially DIR-F. Even though it's the instructor is the general opinion it seems like GUE is the agency. I'm interested in what path to follow if one doesn't want to be GUE.

Well, I did my technical training with Terrence Tysall, and got dual certs thru TDI and IANTD. There are lots of good instructors out there, you have to find the one that is right for you, and the type of diving you want to do. SOmetimes, it comes down to a recommendation from a buddy or friend. Do your research, see which agencies prescribe to your own beliefs about technical training (i.e.--trimix, heliox, rebreathers, cave, etc...) and then choose an instructor. Lets face it, GUE is relatively new to the technical dive training world, and they are one of the smallest cert agencies. There were many other agencies that came before GUE and certified many students before GUE was even born. BTW, Jarod Jablonski (GUE, and Halcyon founder) was certified thru IANTD, and was an IANTD instructor. NAUI also has a technical dive program as well, NAUI Tec. They have some very good instructors as well. Look at the training philosophies of each agency, look at their course descriptions, find out what training YOU want, and then search out a good instructor.
The Instructor is the MOST important part of all this, the agency is secondary.
GOod Luck with your search...

macdiver:
I know everyone says instructor, instructor, etc. But then alot seem to talk up GUE especially DIR-F. Even though it's the instructor is the general opinion it seems like GUE is the agency. I'm interested in what path to follow if one doesn't want to be GUE.

Have you talked to anyone on The Deco Stop? They have a section dedicated to people transitioning from recreational to technical diving. Also there are a large number of technical instructors who are active contributors.

mac,

1. The instructor determines the quality and integrity of the material presented during your course. Therefore, regardless of which agency the instructor represents, they are the single most important thing you must seek out. Truly good ones who are compatible with YOUR personal needs often take some finding. That's why people say what they say.

2. There are only something like 32 GUE instructors on the planet. Their quality control is thus a tad easier than some larger agencies. Additionally, there are a few other things that factor into GUE instructor selection.

3. The GUE DIR-F is not a technical course. It is a course about fundamentals of diving. The fundamentals apply to all diving, both recreational and technical. It has been stated more than once that most of what is taught in the DIR-F appears within the first two chapters of the PADI manual. The goal, however, is to learn to perform fundamental abilities with precision. Any diver interested in being a better diver could learn something from spending a weekend focusing on fundamentals this way.

4. Perfectly good technical course curriculums are offered by IANTD, TDI, NACD, and several other agencies. GUE also has excellent curriculums. People learn things differently. This is why how the material is presented and by whom impacts on how much students take away from their training. You won't be ill-served by a course offered by any of the above agencies. Exactly how much you get out of the course, however, will depend less on the curriculum or agency, and far more on HOW the instructor presents the material to you in a way that makes most sense to you. Some of it is intuitive, but some isn't - and having an instructor who can effectively communicate abstract concepts so that you grasp them can make all the difference in the world with respect to what you take away from your training.

If I were you, I'd start by going to websites (IANTD, TDI, GUE, etc.) and spending time reviewing the course standards and criteria (published on all websites) for their technical training. This will tell you much about the curriculum, equipment requirements, prerequisites (iow, order of courses required) etc.

Finding a compatible instructor, which is the more important part, takes a bit more effort. Places such as this one are a good place to start.

Best of luck,

Doc

Not foolproof, but find some DIVERS who are doing the kind of diving you want to do, and ask for their recommendation of instructor. Additionally, try to ascertain that the DIVERS you get opinions from are good, safety-conscious divers without attitudes. But first, before approaching tech diving, do all you can to perfect your basic diving skills--to BEGIN tech diving you need excellent buoyancy control, good buddy & situational awareness, general good fitness and conditioning, and great comfort in the water.

GUE gets a LOT of mention on this board because they create and foster a lot of controversy in their rigid opinions and disdain of differing opinions. You must not confuse a lot of controversy with a lot of divers trained by them. BTW, this is not in any way meant as a condemnation of their ideals and training--they have an excellent program, and many of us have adapted or adopted much of what they espouse. But the great majority of us just dive and keep quiet about what instructor or agency provided our training--in most cases a different and larger agency such as IANTD, NACD, NSS, etc.

theskull

macdiver:

Where do you live?

For becoming a better wreck diver, i would invest some money in a cave course. Start with cavern and work up to full cave. Not only will this teach you good finning techniques but will definately make you a better diver as a whole if you are serious about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom