Tech Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I apologize for not responding sooner, but I havn't had the time to "play" on the computer lately.

I live in New Jersey for those that asked.

Thanks Jaydee for the cave training recommendation., I guess that was the info I was looking for (training on proper finning techniques, line running, etc.) I guess I'll have to get the bosses permission for a trip to Fl. sometime in the future.

Also I think I should point out that I am still a relatively new diver (just under 50 dives) so I am not looking to do this training soon but am trying to map out the road to get me to where I am heading.

Thanks for all of your help.

My wife and I have begun our technical dive training through ANDI - and a lot of my decision was based on the instructor. I investigated 5 different shops within a 1 hour drive, and that's where we settled. It was just circumstantial we had obtained our Nitrox certifications through ANDI a few years previous (we now live 1500 miles from where we lived at that time)

Our tech diving instructor's emphasis, more than anything else, is on developing "thinking divers". Our personal view is this was overwhelmingly refreshing. And, he's had us teach a few things to him also (my wife and I are both chemical engineers, and no strangers to gas laws and thermodynamics). We probably won't progress all the way to trimix, nor wreck penetrations, but we plan to vacation at Bikini Atoll within the next few years, and the ANDI TSD 3 certification level fit our objectives (we did our certification dives for this in Grand Cayman over Thanksgiving as shore dives at Turtle Reef).

My advice is do your own research checking the course offerings and progression of the different agencies, see how that fits with your personal objectives, chat with some folks, and personally visit your top picks before commiting.

well to be honest most people dont understand GUE DIR-F is all about .
its not a tech class its a fundamentals class to get you heading in right direction to progress to next level like cave, deco , wreck ect .
how ever I do like there program and alot of there instrictors top notch!!!

macdiver:
First, I apologize for not responding sooner, but I havn't had the time to "play" on the computer lately.

I live in New Jersey for those that asked.

Thanks Jaydee for the cave training recommendation., I guess that was the info I was looking for (training on proper finning techniques, line running, etc.) I guess I'll have to get the bosses permission for a trip to Fl. sometime in the future.

Also I think I should point out that I am still a relatively new diver (just under 50 dives) so I am not looking to do this training soon but am trying to map out the road to get me to where I am heading.

Thanks for all of your help.

If would like an unbais opinion, feel free to PM me.

There are a number of very good instructors in this area that teach for a number different agencies. With the number of dives you have, I would hold off for a little while before trying to get into the deeper stuff.

Good Luck with whatever choice you make. DSAO

Macdiver,
Like other have said it mostly based upon the Instructor teaching the course. There are alot of instructors out there that have the cards but hardly ever dive. I know of Instructors that haven't had technical equipment on in over a year then hop in the water trying to teach the course. I have been with ANDI for about 8 years or so and I find that they are a agency that does not cut corners. The manuals are quite comprehensive and easy to follow. Don't always let the nice color pictures fool you, some agency have alot of nice looking materials but lack in information. "You can check out there website and www.andihq.com They do have regional headquarters all around the world. Good luck in your search.

Bruce

macdiver:
I know that most of you are GUE trained (or so it seems). However I would like to know what other agencies offer good (safe) tech training. I'm interested in deep wreck diving. I know that I need to take deco, adv. nitrox, and trimix I, II, & etc. What other cousres should I take to learn proper finning technicques, wreck line usage, etc.? Also as I move into tech diving is it worth considering switching to a rebreather?

Overall, I think very few of us are GUE trained tech divers, other than a DIRF (Fundamentals) course.

Most of my tech training is through IANTD and NAUI.

I think it's more of the instructor that makes for good training rather than the agency.

As already mentioned there are some excellent instructors on The Deco Stop. Most of them are also members here, but they tend to be more active there.

If you only have around 50 dives under your belt, you need to change your focus. Just dive. Don't worry about which agency is "best." There's too many people who try to take the plunge into tech diving way too soon. Just because some diveshops choose to market low-price tech courses (there's a shop in the Twin Cities that advertises $199 Trimix courses on their website!) doesn't mean you should jump in as soon as you hit 100 dives or so. Two words: Chris Murley. Just because it's easier today to become certified in tech courses doesn't mean it's safer. I would argue the opposite.

And BTW, GUE does have high standards. But it's a fact that *most* of the best tech divers in the world today are not GUE certified for a variety of legitimate reasons. You would be a fool to dismiss them just because they don't have one or another certification from a particular agency.

Cave training will certainly prepare you for wreck diving and penetration, I would sugggest you get some more diving in before starting cave training. Also cave training is a rather substantial commitment, gear, time etc. An advanced nitrox class and learning proper decompression diving would be a good start. I am sure that most of the training agencies will offer this type of training, I got mine through TDI. You can start preparing for your class by starting to read some of the books available and as you gain more dive time you can use the time towards finding an instructor and agency you will be comfortable with. Dive Safe-Dive Alot-M

Most of the divers I know got their training through NAUI, a few have TDI training.

I never heard of GUE before I found this website?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom