Technical Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air Integration is useful for tracking your RMV, but that's about it. It's not reliable and doesn't provide redundancy, so you'll carry manual gauges on all your gas supplies. The SUUNTO Vyper 2 has all the stuff you need to get through Advanced Nitrox, and isn't AI. That said, the Vyper 2 is not upgradeable software wise. At this point in your diving career, it's premature to go for a VR3, Gallileo, or the like. Save the money for diving experience and instruction. After 100 dives and Advanced Nitrox, then maybe it might be time to consider a computer designed to support trimix.

If you haven't looked into the Shearwater Pursuit yet you are seriously missing out. It is my primary integrated coimputer and upgradeable. So you can start with OC recreational settings and take it all the way to fully integrated CCR. The Pursuit is nice since you can switch gasses manually during a dive. If you get to CCR you can also switch to OC bailout and get a whole new decompression profile for the new gasses that were pre-programmed.

I use a Cochran EMC-20H as a back-up. It is a solid tech dive computer, but while in a dive there is no interface. Meaning it is a good computer only if your dive goes exactly to plan.

I have not use the X-1 but my friends have them and they look really nice. And all of my friends have sold or are selling their VR-3's.

This is my preference of tech dive computers.

1. Shearwater Pursuit
2. Liquivision X-1
3. Cochran EMC-20h
4. VR-3 (cheap on the used market and someone is always selling one, wonder why?)

I used VR3-C4 tech and CCR useful friendly.

Opti,

it's great that you're excited about diving, and thinking ahead. Gear is something many of us enjoy getting (Gear Geeks - self included), and enjoy jabbering about on here. There are lots of methods to dive safely. Knowing how to dive tables and written plans is important for fundamentals, but many of us recognize the value and improved accuracy of computers.

One question I would ask yourself is this... can I rent a computer when I'm doing my courses? If you really want to go through Adv Nitrox and Deco, almost every Tec dive shop will have a computer appropriate for your course that you can rent or borrow. Before you purchase a computer that does anything more than simply track your nitrogen and oxygen absorption, dive time, NDL, and depth, I'd really get some more experience with other people's computers first. Try before you buy is a good motto here.

As for getting a used BP/W?... the backplate is Steel: if it fits you, is in good condition, and is at a good price... just get it. Hard to go wrong. You'll learn various ways to harness it, whether hogarthian, or a more modern Transplate/backpack style. The Wing is a bit trickier. It's important to have it inspected by a shop. It needs to be pressure tested, and inspected for salt crystals, as well as cleaned. Typically this is not a problem... ask about the users number of dives, and their post dive habits. Also find out where it has been stored.. sunlight or no?

A Rec BCD and BP/W are not limiting factors until you decide to dive with doubles. Even then, some Rec BCD's can handle it. If you have a desire to go into Tec Diving, the BP/W is the right place to start. Before investing in a fancy computer, you might consider getting yourself a good lift bag/safety sausage, a proper reel (Manta Jr is great), and a good light. Before rushing into Adv Nitrox and Deco, it's a good idea to get experience with several environments... quarry/lake, ocean, bad vis, tropical, cool water, cold water, darkness (night or cave) current/drift. You might focus a bit more on the experience and the journey rather than on the goodies and c-cards, at least for a little while.

Regards,
D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom