• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Technical Diving as a career?

Discussion in 'Technical Diving Specialties' started by Scuba_Nick27, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Scuba_Nick27

Scuba_Nick27 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm finishing high school so right now is the moment to choose what I want to go into as a career. I probably will get to technical in diving, but will have to really think about commercial. As a main career I'm looking towards being a helicopter pilot, preferably commercial or airway transport... any thoughts or knowledge about that career? Any advice would be very appreciated :)

2. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    You REALLY don't want to know what I think. But, I'll tell you anyway. Did you know you can make $100k+ your first or second year in the insurance industry? Did you know it doesn't even require a high school diploma. Did you know that insurance adjusters make about $300k the month after a hurricane hits?

There are really lucrative jobs out there that aren't glamorous, but no one ever thinks about them. Both of my daughters are under 23 years old, and intin second year of insurance will be making $100k+

Scuba_Nick27 likes this.
  3. 100days-a-year

100days-a-year Solo Diver

Even in construction there are jobs less than glamorous that pay a lot. Figure out what the hourly wages work out to for a door installer 50 floors up, a wallpaper hanger (me), a stone setter or some other off the wall niche. Union or non union too. A lot of my non college educated friends make more than many folks with master's degrees.
    Balance those considerations on ability to pick your locale, free time off etc.. and you can easily enjoy diving as an affordable hobby.
    Fixed and rotary wing pilots do well if they can find a gig if you're set on that path.

Bob DBF and Scuba_Nick27 like this.
  4. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

My brother made it as a professional helicopter pilot. I think he was about 40 before he had a good paying job at it. He didn't get the military type of training, did it on his own, out of pocket. He worked as a flight instructor and at times he owed his boss money at the end of the month as he did more self training then he made on students. Once you get a commercial helicopter license (I don't remember all the levels he went through) on of the first gigs you will likely be doing is flying workers to off-shore oil platforms. The other likely gig is doing helicopter tours of the grand canyon. Those are the two main gigs for freshly minted pilots before they go off into other fields. The only other helicopter pilot I know is my grandmother's childhood boyfriend's son (which makes him zero relation to me or anyone else in the family), he did the powerline work, dropping workers off on power lines to fix them while energized. He retired from that and went back to grand canyon tours as he winds down for retirement.

Scuba_Nick27 likes this.
  5. Scuba_Nick27

Scuba_Nick27 Angel Fish

Interesting. But I don't want a job that will pay a lot, and I won't be happy with the job. If I commit to a job, I'd better like it for the rest of the time that I will work. But I will keep insurance in mind... it's just paperwork and high pay.

6. Superlyte27

I work less than 4 hours a week. My paycheck this month paid for an airplane. A job is just a means to pay for the things you're passionate about in life.

Scuba_Nick27 likes this.
  7. Scuba_Nick27

Scuba_Nick27 Angel Fish

If you think about it that way then thats very true. Theres a lot to take in... I really don't know what career to take. I have top notch grades and scholarhips and all that... and universities are constantly inviting me over... but I in reality am lost in what I want to do. Flying a helicopter is probably the closest thing. Get this, I did a lot of things. I worked part time jobs, I did office jobs, physical jobs like construction, right now I work as a carrier dispatcher, and I liked all of those jobs... except construction... it sucks in Florida. That's why I'm sorta lost, I can do many things and I honestly have no preference in what I do.

8. Scuba_Nick27

Scuba_Nick27 Angel Fish

And what did your brother think of the job? How much did he earn if that's not a secret?

9. Superlyte27

Where are you in FL?

Scuba_Nick27 likes this.
  10. Scuba_Nick27

Scuba_Nick27 Angel Fish

Sarasota. Southwest FL