Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My reference to the older, now deleted, thread is to this sort of thinking. When you read what thee people think is normal diving, it is night and day different from anything you will see in threads on places like ScubaBoard. They have developed their own belief systems that have nothing to do with what we believe to be the science of diving.
I hope scubaboard is not what we believe to be the science of diving.....😆😆:stirpot:

So this lady got bent, but what was final update for her son? Full recovery or permanently paralyzed?
It's been a while. I didn't feel like going through her posts on FB for the last year. I seem to remember some strong recovery. Last I read, it wasn't yet a full recovery, but well on the road.
My reference to the older, now deleted, thread is to this sort of thinking. When you read what thee people think is normal diving, it is night and day different from anything you will see in threads on places like ScubaBoard. They have developed their own belief systems that have nothing to do with what we believe to be the science of diving.
Without a doubt, there are cases of this type of thinking, but it's a niche within a niche within a niche. Scuba diving itself is a niche, Spearfishing is a niche within Scuba, and those that are combining spearfishing with technical diving are a niche within Scuba spearos.

However, as you said this sort of thinking is what leads to thinking that 4 deep drops to those depths is perfectly fine.

Just saw in the OP that the names were obscured at the request of the family. Guess they didn’t want their stupidity widely known?

I hope scubaboard is not what we believe to be the science of diving.....😆😆:stirpot:
When we see the great debates on ScubaBoard, as I have for the 19 years I have been a member, the diving practices described by the he Louisiana spearos would not fall in between the greatest of the ScubaBoard extremes.

One of my wife's cousins was in a chair for many years before he passed away from complications. He was bent spearing fish during multiple deep dives.

I have been on spear trips to the La. rigs. I have seen people including a few friends go well below 200 feet multiple times after fish. I was always pretty smart :shakehead:, smart enough to know that this was suicidal even at 19 yo. I did do several dives with surface interval using the old Navy tables in use at the time to over 100 feet and at about the third such dive decided that the beer and cute girls on the deck were more appealing than getting paralyzed. I did take a big grouper, big for me anyways. And, nobody got bent. But, yeah, beats me. I know that my friend Andrew (an older gentleman of like mid 30s from Jamaica) who brought me along on this trip, did several dives over 200 feet. He told me not to make another dive after my third but as I said, I had already decided not to.

A different story, Andrew and I along with several others did make, well, a very deep, planned, single dive with in water deco support into a sink hole in the bottom of the Gulf. Some of the things, anyways, that spearfishermen do are a little outside or better diving practices.

Did this young man recover, I cannot tell from all this long posts? I sure hope he did. That just makes me sick, sick :sad2:.

Just saw in the OP that the names were obscured at the request of the family. Guess they didn’t want their stupidity widely known?
Yeah. I saw that. It did complicate things a bit when trying to confirm my memory that the poster was the same. I remembered that I had found that the son had won a spearfishing tournament a few years back, so that helped to confirm the last name.

In responses to her post, she confirmed that her son got bent not long ago. Seems they found a Dr. that is somewhat enabling. At least the way she sees it. Dr. may just be trying to not be judgmental, but she seems to take it as he expects these things. She actually likened it to a sprain that a basketball player may get.

So, I’m thinking this post is clearly in the right spot. I was pretty sure you posted the original, just wasn’t sure if it was here or in “Near Misses / Lessons Learned”. Seems lessons weren’t learned after the first incident, and they still haven’t been. I’m pretty sure there will be another.

First Law of safety: just because you got away with it last time, doesn't mean you'll get away with it this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom