teens with own gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong:
thanks fellas.
when i look at regs, what should i look for first apart from brands? material? quality? durability?
also, when you guys say regs, does that include the alternative 2nd stage as well?
Pretty much any major brand will be 'good'; you can find the 'great' ones by reading user's reviews on here and other places. I'm not sure what you're meaning about the backup reg, if you're asking if it is included, sometimes it is, sometimes not. Whatever the case, make sure that it is a REAL reg, not one of those very low quality plastic junkers (I speak from painful experience). If you're asking if you need one or not, yes, you do need one.

Hope that helps

well i knew a backup reg would be essential, but i m just wondering if it usually comes with the primary reg when buying? if not, what kind of reg should i look for as a backup one? a cheaper one or something else? are there regs specified as a back up one?

They do make some that are specifically sold as backup regs, and are not sold in the normal reg format. I don't suggest these. The best thing to get, if you can afford it, is a second one identical to your primary reg, or if not that, at least a good-quality primary reg.

i see, thanks Dr K.
what is wrong with specified backup regs? do they make it as not as good quality or something?
so the best thing to do if the primary reg doesnt come with a backup one is to buy a similar but solid quality one?
cheers

kjpwong:
i see, thanks Dr K.
what is wrong with specified backup regs? do they make it as not as good quality or something?
so the best thing to do if the primary reg doesnt come with a backup one is to buy a similar but solid quality one?
cheers
Exactly. As a general rule, they breathe horrible, which is not what you want to provide to a diver in distress.

As for the pony bottle, no, you don't need one unless you take up solo diving, and even then there are heated debates about them; a search here would be the fastest way to make your decision, there have been dozens of threads about them.

yea i have a full kit and then some

Seaquest fusion BC
Apeks ATX-200 regs
Suunto Cobra
.5mill wetsuit (cant remember brand)
Mask
Scubapro twin speeds
snorkel
UK rechargable light
backup light
tanks
weights
and some extra gear thats too small
Pro QD bc
scubapro twin speeds (my dad has his eyes on these) :wink:

rescue teen:
hi all you teen divers i was just curious how many of you have your own gear and if u can suggest some good starter gear
Yes i do own all my own all my own gear .i am 15 an am concidered a master diver i have over 150 dives and to answer your question for a regulator the apex atx 50 is a nice option or the sherwood blizzard both are very nice in bcd the avid is nice it is a fill jacket bc or if you are looking for a back inflation bc the zeagle escape is a good bye it is a very sturdy bc i myself dive the step up or the ranger which i got because i am planning on becoming an instructor if you have any questions call the store i work at (603)-889-7655

i have some of my own gear
Mares lycra mask
Dacor semi-dry snorkel
henderson 7mm hyperstretch gloves, etc
Whites 7mm boots
force fins pro
ocean master knife
and a few odds and ends

I agree with a lot of the above posts, buy the best gear you can afford, otherwise youll be replacing it soon. As an aside, for those of you still growing, the Dive Rite Transpac is completely modular, with changeable shoulder straps and cumberbunds. They used to have a trade in program for growing youth, where you keep the backpak and wings, and just upsize the harness pieces as necessary.

If you think tec might be for you one day, just go get a backplate and wings, one size fits all except for the smallest of bodies. I dive recreationally in mine and would never go back to a jacket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom