Teeth Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Lee. Looked through it over several readings. The line on the map, is that the general location thats closest to the ground or exposed to the environement?

River dives? I have an easily trailorable boat.

The three rivers I will be targeting this coming season are the Cooper, Wando, and Edisto. (may add the Savannah) I have dove all three with most (by far) of my dives in the Cooper. Even if I were to not go with you I can show your precisely where to dive. You can of course dive anywhere in the rivers you like. What I am saying is I can show you precisely where I have dove before. In the areas I dive, the Edisto and the Wando are much easier (and safer) than the Cooper. The Cooper is deeper and faster. I do know of a very easy dive site in the Cooper. Its a tributary called the French Quarter. My only concern with it is it is very alligator-ish. Have not heard em or seen em in there but I can highly sense em in that area.

Is your boat motor-less?

I am not sure how this season will go yet for me. I do know I will do river dives and ocean dives. I do know I will start diving mid to late April and hopefully do 10 dive trips (2,3, or 4 dives per trip) before November.

The line on the map, is that the general location thats closest to the ground or exposed to the environement?

I am not sure about that either. It wasn't made clear. I am not a fanatic about the Chandler formation, I just pay attention to it because I know that is one of the layers that has fossils in it and it runs under the east coast states.

Its a 17' CC, very low daft...with motor.
I Dive the Cape Fear here. It moves about 6-7 knots on a falling tide. THe foot of Market here in Wilmington was the dump for many years in the 1700-1800's. Can be lucrative sometimes for odds and ends. It'd be intresting to find a place to find fossils in it too.

Oh...and big gators.

The three rivers I will be targeting this coming season are the Cooper, Wando, and Edisto. (may add the Savannah) I have dove all three with most (by far) of my dives in the Cooper. Even if I were to not go with you I can show your precisely where to dive. You can of course dive anywhere in the rivers you like. What I am saying is I can show you precisely where I have dove before. In the areas I dive, the Edisto and the Wando are much easier (and safer) than the Cooper. The Cooper is deeper and faster. I do know of a very easy dive site in the Cooper. Its a tributary called the French Quarter. My only concern with it is it is very alligator-ish. Have not heard em or seen em in there but I can highly sense em in that area.

Is your boat motor-less?

I am not sure how this season will go yet for me. I do know I will do river dives and ocean dives. I do know I will start diving mid to late April and hopefully do 10 dive trips (2,3, or 4 dives per trip) before November.

LOL Alligators, if you want to river dive, then you better understand that you will be in the river with alligators, snakes, and a lot more other things. Bull sharks will come up river as will manatees and dolphins. I have only had one run in with an alligator and it was two summers ago and I have all my fingers , lol

Lee, if all goes well, then I may have a boat by the end of the summer, I just have other priorities I have to satisfy first then we can dive wherever and whenever. In a couple of weeks I am going to the Edisto at the landing I told you about where you can wade in. Let me know if you want to go, I am trying for both Saturday and Sunday the 26-27th.

Oh...and big gators.

Let me explain what I meant by alligater-ish:

No gators. Dive here. Cooper River main body
113-1354_IMG.jpg
113-1354_IMG.jpg

No gators. Dive here. Stay away from edge of river. Note grass. Cooper river.
113-1336_IMG.jpg

Left side gator un-friendly. Right hand side gator friendly. Note grass. Durham creek leading to Cooper river and Strawberry Landing
112-1300_IMG.jpg

Dive here. Stay in center of river. Gator friendly edge. Cooper river backwoods
103-0356_img.jpg

Very gator friendly on left. Low angle for easy access and shallow edge. Tall grass. Cooper river back waters
103-0330_img.jpg

I am sitting this dive out. I will wait on the boat. Note the low angle for easy entrance and exit. Note tall grass in background. This spot is taken and anything comming close will be watched or inspected. If he feels fear or potential prey approaching, he will hide and prepare to ambush.
Gator1.jpg

Last edited:
Lee, if all goes well, then I may have a boat by the end of the summer,

No problem. We can use Phil's boat and Johnny's boat in the mean time. The advantage of having your own is you don't have to be subject to going to the same old spots time after time.

In a couple of weeks I am going to the Edisto at the landing I told you about where you can wade in. Let me know if you want to go, I am trying for both Saturday and Sunday the 26-27th.

Definitely put me down for the 26th. Will bring a pyrex or something for water clarity. My sifter. UW lights. Goody bag. Waders. I am on James Island.

ps: The Cypress Fossil show is Saturday the 19th. Not the coming Saturday but the next.

No problem. We can use Phil's boat and Johnny's boat in the mean time. The advantage of having your own is you don't have to be subject to going to the same old spots time after time.

Definitely put me down for the 26th. Will bring a pyrex or something for water clarity. My sifter. UW lights. Goody bag. Waders. I am on James Island.

ps: The Cypress Fossil show is Saturday the 19th. Not the coming Saturday but the next.

Lee, you will not need a sifter if you dive. all you will need is a light (maybe) and a goodie bag. I also recommend some sort of spike in case the current is moving a little. If you just want to dig then bring your shovel and sifter and your waders but you will have better luck diving.

Mike .... The words "wade in" threw me off. Now if you had typed "walk-in-dive" I would have understood. I can not think of much I would want to do other than dive the Edisto again. BUT these days, I start diving in mid April of each season. I only have wet suits (no drysuits) and the thickest I have is 5mm. I have done my share of cold water diving and it is not my cup of tea. I don't do well in water below 70 degrees. I think the Edisto is currently running around 53 degrees. WAY too cold for me personally. I would like to join you. If nothing else to search the shallows in my waders. I will be running my jetski up the Edisto soon. I will be scouting and geo tagging photos for future reference. Haven't commited yet but thinking about hitting the Venice FL Fossil Fair. After the fair, digging in a very fossiliferous limestone bed I am aware of, and then kicking off my dive season there on the Aristakat with Jamie Bostwick.

ps: here is a tool that has worked well for me on the bottom of the Cooper river. The reason I like it is you can run the handle down the length of your arm, while holding onto the spade looking part with your hand. You can stick the prongs into the bottom and then lay on top of it with your arm folded up underneath you. Hard to explain but it works quite well. I have tried many, this one works well

Yea, I meant we got the gators to. They have learned to stay over near the Battleship as people have fed one or two over there. Once you get up river away from downtown, they get more prevalent.

-Nice Pictures-

Back
Top Bottom