TEKNA & Mako Mods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkcrj

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried interchanging parts between these 2 such as Mako mid-section and nose piece on a Tekna tail?

Also, I am considering converting to brushless motor and all lithium batteries for performance similar to SeaBob.
This would also eliminate the Hydrogen gas problem.

Has anyone had any luck with this type of "Tim Toolman Taylor" mod?

Has anyone tryied enter-changing parts between these 2 such as Mako mid-section and nose piece on a Tekna tail?Also, I considering converting to brushless motor and all lithium batteries for performance simular to SeaBob.

Has anyone had any luck with this type of "Tim Toolman Taylor" mod?

There is nothing you can fit inside a Mako that will generate SeaBob speeds. There are mods that will improve it but essentially you're spending about the same money as an X or SS to get less depth rating and a finicky o-ring system.

All the best, James

Anyone seen any cavitation problems with the Stock Prop?

I am looking at 2000-2500 RPMS. would that would put the thrust up at about 140-150 LBS?

Last edited:
Thrust of 140-150 pounds on a dpv would jerk your arms so hard it wouldn't be funny. 60 much less 70 pounds of thrust would already be quite an acheivement for any sustainable length of time on a mako. You are planning on somehow acheiving 140-150 with a mako? I don't think so.

Anyone seen any cavitation problems with the Stock Prop?

I am looking at 2000-2500 RPMS. would that would put the thrust up at about 140-150 LBS?

Not going to happen. Its a 550W motor at best. Pump more juice through it and it will just burn up/melt the brushes or commutator.

Upgrading the motor is silly since the body is a leaky joke.

Listen to fdog here.

I am converting to a brushless motor and Lithium with "off the shelf" parts for a minimal investment.

I was only considering swaping the mid section and nose cone for the ease of access with the latching system.

These mods are for free diving/snorkeling and skirting around without scuba gear on more like the SeaBob. Thats why I was seeking the high thrust.

I am looking at aprox 300 dollars to do this mod which puts me well under the price of the SS or Gavin.

I apreciate everyones input.

Would anyone else be interested in this mod if I am succsessful?

I am converting to a brushless motor and Lithium with "off the shelf" parts for a minimal investment.

I am looking at aprox 300 dollars to do this mod which puts me well under the price of the SS or Gavin.

Where exactly are you getting a brushless motor and a lithium battery for $300?

Electric scooter parts out of China.

These will be a perfect match for your Mako body.

You realize you will need ~45-50lbs of lithium batteries or you'll need to add lead? The body has a certain amount of buoyancy which needs to be overcome.

You realize your $100 brushless motor has probably less power than the stock tekna? It might be lighter, so again you'll need to add lead.

You realize you will need to find a shaft seal for that motor? And motor mounts?

But pllllllease post pics of you 150lb thrust $300 scooter.

Its a project.

Technology has jumped in the last 2 years in regards to electric powered vehicles. I am simply trying to integrate some of the Techno Wizardry into the DPV arena!

I think 2-5k is out of most people’s budget for a DPV and you might have a lot of success with off the shelf parts integrated into a proven design. Like I said "it’s a project".

Thanks for the comments and input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom