TEKNA & Mako Mods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I for one will be interested in seeing how it turns out.

Not sure where you live, but if you want good numbers on it's performance, the Tahoe Benchmark will be the last week of July this year. We have a track record of allowing use of the testing equipment for personal projects such as yours.

All the best, James

Good luck and If you want more speed, I'd think hard about the rewound motor over a replacement. If you get anywhere close to the thurst you are wanting you will have to deal with reinforcing the drive train and going with all metal gears to avoid stripping the teeth. Also, keep in mind that the battery you are getting is desighned to be cooled by the air flow around it, in a DPV the heat may have nowhere to go, especialy with a plastic hull with poor thermal conduction. How many amps do you thing you will be pulling? are you going to use a PWM or circuits to ramp up the speed on start?

lets see IF he can get it to fit, and see IF everything lines up mounts up and seals up, NOT I bet :)

buy the time you go through all that you will wish you had just bout the 1000 or 1200 rpm motor I have on the shelf. :)

Battery will fit and is actually smaller and lighter than the SLA. As someone already pointed out it will take some tweaking to get the thing neutral in the water because of the lighter battery.

The Brushless motor is a much more complicated conversion and I am still researching the best options.

If I get over 1200 rpm will the stock Prop cavitate at the highest pitch setting?

I would love to buy the 1200 RPM motor but its not as efficient as the brushless and it costs 5 times as much…..the idea here is to use off the shelf parts with very few mods to accomplish the performance I am looking for. If I wanted to spend several thousand dollars I would buy something already in production.

We've had DPV repair rewind the motors (1000 rpm) and upgrade the clutches on 2 of our Mako scooters. The results were very good and the performance is noteably better than our remaining stock Mako.

As noted, the major Mako flaw is the body design and I regard a neoprene sleave as more or less essential to protect the o-rings and sealing grooves - especially in an over head environment.

In terms of desireable upgrades to a Mako, conversion to a tube body would be ideal as it woudl eliminate the fairly fragile seal and o-ring systems between the rear body, mid body and nose cone. Awhile back I knew of some effort to accomplish that with a delrin motor shroud and nose cap to accommodate a PVC tube, but I am not sure if it is still available.

Is anyone selling the neoprene sleve or are they all custom made?

Back
Top Bottom