Tell me about a dive log.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The biggest purpose of a dive log that I've found, aside from entertainment, is being able to go back and say, "What exposure protection and tank did I dive here, and how much weight did I end up needing?"
With less than 50 logged dives, being able to check my log for that kind of details is extremely useful. I guess I'll be less dependent on my log for correct weighting as I dive more, but these days I still have to check my logbook from time to time.

Also, when I'm checking out new sites, I like to make a few notes about the site. Those notes are nice to consult when I'm deciding on where to dive the next time :)

I didn't log dives for many years. And I didn't dive very regularly either. Just a few per year for 18 years. Until this year, and I dive quite a bit now in comparison. 50+ since March. I find myself wishing I had something to look back on about what I saw, what I learned, the actual name of the site, which operator, as well as the usual stuff like time, depth and temp for those 18 years.

What works well for me now is a computer with pc/Mac connection kit. That interfaces with macdive and an iOS app. I make a few short notes at the end of each day of diving - usually after 3 dives in a day for consecutive days I find that I need to write up or record notes right away before the dives start running together mentally. My computer has air integration and it provides a powerful piece of feedback for improving air consumption and I have increased dive times from an average of 45 minutes to over 1 hour.

I've always logged dives, but as a commercial diver this was a requirement for employment (to comply with government regulation). I divide my underwater time into categories: recreational (air), technical (air), technical (mixed-gas), commercial (air), commercial (mixed-gas), chamber (research), saturation and total time at pressure.

When I first started diving for recreation (like others) I would go into much more detail than I do now: what I saw, comments about the day, etc. I still enjoy looking back on those early dives (48 years ago). I made it a priority to calculate my SAC on every dive and especially noted the diving conditions.

For dive planning purposes, I refer back to similar dives (conditions) that I did in the past to help project my SAC for the next dive. The result was that I could project the amount of gas that I will consume, for what duration and diving conditions; which allows me to update the dive plan as conditions change. Looking at your tank pressure is reactive; I've found it helpful to be more proactive in my approach to gas management.

That being said. I know many people that make up dives on their logs so they meet the requirements for DM/Instructor class. Which is a big no no for me.

Really?

I thought part of the requirement is for the dive shop or IDC to make sure that the candidates for DM or instructor can show proof of dives via a dive log and the dives in the dive log has to be verified with a signature or stamp from a DM/Instructor/Dive center.

Then again, I guess this does not surprise me after witnessing the loosey goosey operation of a lot of the dive ships and dive centers. The number is quite astounding.

What if you never dive with a DM/Instructor/Dive Centre? How would you prove you have the requisite number of dives if all your dives have been shore dives with a similarly qualified buddy?

The number of dives you have done is totally irrelevant. Some people are like a fish when they first get in the water and find diving comes natural. Others log hundreds of dives and never look good in the water.

The 40 logged dives to start your DM course seems a bit of an arbitrary figure to me, however, it does make sense to put some sort of experience level on it to stop inexperienced divers signing up for the course. If a candidate shows up and meets all the course objectives, who cares how many of the dives he has logged are genuine?

I once dived with a couple of trainee DMs who wanted to jump in, swim around until they have used half a tank, ascend, float around, and then drop down again so they could log two dives from one cylinder. I told them what I thought of their idea and told them they may as well just make the lot up if their only aim was to hit some number set by PADI HQ.

My log book contains
location (including elevation), time, date
divesite specifics like bearings etc. if I have time i might even try to draw a little map to mark POIs
duration, depth, conditions
exposure protection, weights, trim issues, tank(s), equipment
buddie(s) including their e-mail-address (I do a lot of solo travelling)
things and creatures I saw
anything that went wrong and how to avoid it.

especially the notes about my weighting com in handy when I get back to a distant location after months

the log book is for me.
I only had to show it once on the Canary Islands, all other dive centers took my word and my performance during the check dives together with my c-cards as enough proof of my experience

I thought part of the requirement is for the dive shop or IDC to make sure that the candidates for DM or instructor can show proof of dives via a dive log and the dives in the dive log has to be verified with a signature or stamp from a DM/Instructor/Dive center.

How can one truly verify dives? If my husband and I go out diving, no one else is with us- there is no instructor or divemaster, and if we shore dive no boat captain even. We can write down we went to 3,000 feet at a temperature of 107 degrees. Or we could write down a whole weeks worth of dives that didn't actually happen. It seems the log book is kind of taken at an honor code, but it seems like it would be extremely easy to falsify.

To the OP- we were told to log at least our first 50-100 dives as that would help us see a pattern in weight needed in different conditions with various exposure suits. And also because many operators or classes require a certain number of logged dives to participate.

What if you never dive with a DM/Instructor/Dive Centre? How would you prove you have the requisite number of dives if all your dives have been shore dives with a similarly qualified buddy?

The number of dives you have done is totally irrelevant. Some people are like a fish when they first get in the water and find diving comes natural. Others log hundreds of dives and never look good in the water.

The 40 logged dives to start your DM course seems a bit of an arbitrary figure to me, however, it does make sense to put some sort of experience level on it to stop inexperienced divers signing up for the course. If a candidate shows up and meets all the course objectives, who cares how many of the dives he has logged are genuine?

I once dived with a couple of trainee DMs who wanted to jump in, swim around until they have used half a tank, ascend, float around, and then drop down again so they could log two dives from one cylinder. I told them what I thought of their idea and told them they may as well just make the lot up if their only aim was to hit some number set by PADI HQ.

Number of dives logged represents experience.

As for certified experience, diver with 200+ dives vs another with 20 means the 200+ individual probably has seen a lot more different scenarios underwater. This also translates that the 200+ individual probably had more opportunities to experience or observe how things are done under different, random, unforeseen circumstances.

Nothing can prepare you to cope and deal with situations better than experience. When sh*t hits the fan underwater, my heart start racing, and my adrenaline starts flowing, I would like to have the experience of been there done, done that before so I can handle it, or if not, I would like to have someone with me that is more seasoned and experienced to help me out with my predicament.

Would you take your car to a mechanic that is genuinely certified by the car company or would you take your car around the corner to some repair show owned by a bloke that pretty much winged his way?

Let's say you are in a market for a second car. You have two same model cars with exactly the same option, mileage, color, and every thing down to the tee, event the asking price. The sole difference being that one has a full service record with paper work from a certified mechanic while the other car has a set of maintenance record from a mechanic that does not have any certification. Which one would you go with?

Again, for me, certified experience matters.

But I respect your opinion. Different folks, different strokes.

Off topic: Looking at your avatar, what is your take on the sacking of Mancini and the hiring of Pellegrini?

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

How can one truly verify dives? If my husband and I go out diving, no one else is with us- there is no instructor or divemaster, and if we shore dive no boat captain even. We can write down we went to 3,000 feet at a temperature of 107 degrees. Or we could write down a whole weeks worth of dives that didn't actually happen. It seems the log book is kind of taken at an honor code, but it seems like it would be extremely easy to falsify.

To the OP- we were told to log at least our first 50-100 dives as that would help us see a pattern in weight needed in different conditions with various exposure suits. And also because many operators or classes require a certain number of logged dives to participate.

Skittl,

You are right. No one can really verify the validity of the logged dives.

I was under the impression that maybe only the certified/validated logs are counted towards the requirement.

But I guess that is not the case.

Regardless, making up dives just so one can meet the requirement does not really help anyone. Just my two cents.

Only once...:D

It would be a good way to see if the people who say they need to check your log book do anything more than flip the pages...

For the record- my log book isn't made up. Anyone who checks it will see I've only done very short, shallow dives in very cruddy, but calm conditions.

I log all mine purely for statistical purposes and history. It's fun to look back and see "how many of what" you did or notes on issues of gear or notes on the dive site for the next time, etc. It's fun to look back at my first logs to see all the things I was worried about, how I overcame the issues, watching the weight drop off as I got more experienced, etc.

I also write down different configs and how much weight with steel vs aluminum tanks, how much weight for wetsuit vs no suit, PSI and tank sized used to calculate SAC rate changes over time. Now I know it all off the top of my head, but I was able to go back and figure stuff out using my old logs over time and see improvements.

Also, you will need a log if you wish to go further into diving down the road. As stated above, certain courses require a minimum amount of dives, and if you can't prove you did those dives without a log.

If you have a dive computer that is able to download the data to logging software, it makes it even easier... or just buy one of the many cheap phone apps and do your logging that way by hand. You can then sync it to other software later.

If you dive a lot or plan to dive a lot, Electronic logs are a better option IMO because it will be easier to go back through them later. I went through an entire pack of log pages before I moved to an electronic log when I saw that it would be a HUGE pain to hand transfer ALL those hand written logs to some kind of electronic log if I kept using pages. I started out by putting all my paper logs into Excel, then later when I bought logging software, I was able to just copy/paste all the data into it easier.

Now I just have my computer do most of the work, then add in notes and conditional comments.

I currently use Diving Log 5.0 on my PC and have my dive computers import their data to it. Then I just fill in the blanks, notes, etc.
I use iPhone Dive Log on my phone and sync it to my PC.
Its nice because the Developers for the both software, and even the android version, all work together to make their software compatible with each other and offer really good support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom