Tell Me Where To Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASUPaula

Reaction score
I'll be 38 in November, and I'm thrilled to have discovered scuba in the last couple of months. Last week I had an amazing time in the Florida Keys. I live in North Carolina, USA, and my husband had the bright idea that I should plan the ultimate dive trip for my 4oth birthday, which will be in November, 2006. There's a lot of wisdom here, I'm sure, so I'm asking for advice about the best possible destinations at that time of year, and also about those which might be attractive, but for which that might not be the best time of year. Thanks in advance for sharing your insight.

There are a lot of really great places to go diving. I doubt one place exceeds all others. The Florida Keys are in the top 10 in the world, for the best prices of any.

The next step for you and your hubby would probably be Cozumel Mex.

Then Puerto Rico.

Then Honduras.

That way it will keep getting better and better. If you jump right away to the very best diving on this earth, which is probably either The Red Sea or Elat, then nothing else will ever seem any good anymore. So I vote for Cozumel, for you, now that Florida is under your belt.

If you ever become a shipwreck diver, you will find that you already live in the very best diving site on earth: North Carolina. The world is full of ironies.

Hi Neighbor,

We like Bonaire. Lots of easy diving, good food, you can drink the water and lovely people. Are you a Gypsy or Down Under member by any chance? (If not, you should come join us) I have lots of pictures I would be happy to share if you like.
Herman
Apex

I don't think it's possible to say what is best without knowing what is important to you. (I know I wouldn't put the FL Keys anywhere near top 10 in the world, even though they do have their points.) Places like the Keys, Coz, Bonaire, Honduras are all popular for different reasons - often because of a mix of factors like ease of getting there, good value, great shore diving, lots of other stuff to do, etc.

It is true that if you head straight to "the best" whatever that is for you, it may make other things pale in comparison. I'm not sure if that's a good reason to wait to do them though, if you've got the time and money and are so inclined, especially if you really want to do the "ultimate trip."

So do you want reefs, wrecks, walls, little critters, big critters, huge critters? Do you think a liveaboard sounds great or is it out of the question? Do you want to go a long distance to "exotic" places if that's where the best is, or do you really not want to travel halfway around the world. Warm water or colder ok? Lot's of things to think about.

I agree with Damselfish. What one person thinks is the best dive in the world might leave another one yawning. So what do you want to see while you're in the water? Whalesharks and Mantas parading overhead? Kelp forests and seals? Schools of Hammerheads? Wrecks, reefs, etc, etc? If you can give some ideas of why you love to dive and what you want to see it will really help others on the board give you the best advice for you.

Most importantly what is your budget?

Tim Ingersoll:
Most importantly what is your budget?
Budgets? We don't need no steenking budgets...

I'm SO open. I don't mind traveling halfway around the world, and I'd love to see all the stuff you all mentioned. I'm looking for the ultimate scuba experience from your perspective. I have over two years to save and plan, so there's even flexibility with budget. Help me build a fantasy that can come true.

Back
Top Bottom