Tell Me Where To Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ASUPaula:
There's a big budget, okay...but you didn't answer my question.
True, but you didn't really answer mine. To tell you the best place to go for your dream vacation, we need to know your dream. I could tell you the places that are on my lifetime to-do list but that doesn't mean that they are on your list. Even some vague ideas would narrow it down. Big palargics? Wrecks? Reefs? Mermaids? Throw us a fricken' bone here... :D

I'll take a stab at it.

Coral: Indonesia, Thailand or the Great Barrier Reef. If you've lots of money and time you can easily combine many of these

Wrecks: Truk (I'm going this Nov as it is my "Dream")

Combo: Palau/Truk on a liveaboard (approx 20 days of diving)

Sharks: Dive with great whites in South Africa

Naturalism and Pelagics: Galapagos

Depending on you job and finances, take a couple of months and bounce around the pacific. If you want pure diving vacation, stick to live aboards, if you want to see some cultures and land based things, use resorts and day tripping to dive.

ASUPaula:
I'll be 38 in November, and I'm thrilled to have discovered scuba in the last couple of months. Last week I had an amazing time in the Florida Keys. I live in North Carolina, USA, and my husband had the bright idea that I should plan the ultimate dive trip for my 4oth birthday, which will be in November, 2006. There's a lot of wisdom here, I'm sure, so I'm asking for advice about the best possible destinations at that time of year, and also about those which might be attractive, but for which that might not be the best time of year. Thanks in advance for sharing your insight.

Ultimate adventure for us was chartering a sailboat in our favorite destination and going diving amid relaxing, enjoying the chef's cooking and snorkeling between dives, etc. etc. Our destination of choice is easy: Fiji. Incredible people hands down. Bula. Hello. The lifestyle is awesome. And you see soft coral.

Hawaii is nice! Not always the worlds greatest diving but it can be quite exciting and enjoyable. Plus, there's so much more to do here too. Lastly, you keep your $ in the US economy which helps us all out.

Aloha and good luck with your plans!

So far, the best diving for me has been the similan islands (west coast of thailand) by liveaboard, amazing visibility and so much life it's unreal! Add to that the oppurtunity to see whale sharks, manta rays, leopard sharks - nice!! the other big advantage is that very often you'll pull up at a world class dive site here on your liveaboard and there'll be no other boats there.

Personally, I prefered the similans to the great barrier reef, a lot of that though is because I prefer thailand generally to australia. The liveaboard I did in oz was out of cairns, the area of the great barrier reef we dived did not seem to have many fish and the coral was very bleached. The barrier reef though is very big and we only dived a small part of it.

My lifetime to-do list:

Australia - Great Barrier Reef, Ningaloo Reef
Bahamas - Out Islands - Eleuthera, Bimini, Andros, Abacos,
Baja, Mexico - Sea of Cortez, Revillagados Island, La Paz,
Belize - Blue Hole, Ambergris Cay
*Bonaire
*Cayman Islands - Little Cayman - Bloody Bay Wall
Cozumel
Red Sea - Egypt
Galapagos Islands
Roatan - Bay Islands - Honduras
*Niihau/Lanai/Kona Coast - Hawaii
Papua - New Guinea
Sipadan/Sarawak - Malaysia
Palau/Truk/Yap - Micronesia
Turks/Caicos

I like Mantas, Dolphins, Whale Sharks and Coral Reef fish so this list reflects that.

Steve

*Been there, done that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom