Temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diddydidit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
What is the temperature in SoCal in march, specifically San Diego. Am heading down on vacation and wondering what to bring for undergarments

I haven't been diving SD, so Bubble is the authority. However, if you're from BC I don't think you'll mind the temp. I'm from SoCal but I live/dive in NorCal (Humboldt) with waters in the 40's and the low 50's annual high in the summer. I am yet to wear a hood in SoCal after 5 years of year-round diving whenever I visit family. Just for reference I wear a 5mil and no hood/gloves/booties (full foot fins), and I regularly overheat in SoCal waters year-round it feels like bathwater to me. I'm yet to see my PC tell me it's lower then 58 F. This is just my experience, nothing more nothing less. To clear things up I wear everythng when I'm up North! Just to be safe bring a 7mil with hood/gloves/booties and adjust after your first dive.

For your reference (and comparison to El Dude's personal experience), no one I know here in San Diego dives in a 5 mm wetsuit + no hood, no gloves, no booties + full foot fins. Very few people wearing that particular exposure protection could tolerate 58°F water for a one-hour dive.

If you are a wetsuit diver, you will want at least a 7 mm wetsuit + thick hood + gloves (3 mm might be OK if you need to operate camera buttons) + thick booties + open-heel fins. Many here use a hooded vest to get a little more neoprene on their torso.

If you are a drysuit diver, then bring an appropriate undergarment. I enjoy wearing my drygloves. YMMV.

Since you are Canadian, your cold tolerance may be better than ours.

Certain times of the year, the water at depth in SD can get into the 49-52°F range. In the late summer/early fall, the water warms up to 65-70°F, but often the temperature at deeper recreational depths remains in the mid-50s. When the water is warmer, there's generally a noticeable thermocline at 20-30 fsw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom