Ten Foot/3 Metre Stops in Heavy Swells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people you have in the water at a time?

Never more than six (2-3 teams), so not many. I still contend following drifting teams in the NE is less easy and carries greater consequences if a team is lost than in somewhere like FL, or even the Sound.

In any case, I just simply fail to see the benefit of live boating there given the increased risks of (1) getting lost, (2) getting caught in an unseen gill net. What does that gain me? The current is usually such that ascending near (not on) the line is easy breezy.

Never more than six (2-3 teams), so not many. I still contend following drifting teams in the NE is less easy and carries greater consequences if a team is lost than in somewhere like FL, or even the Sound.

In any case, I just simply fail to see the benefit of live boating there given the increased risks of (1) getting lost, (2) getting caught in an unseen gill net. What does that gain me? The current is usually such that ascending near (not on) the line is easy breezy.

Then I would ascend near the line (!). This is a mismash of people talking about swells vs. waves, dinky currents vs. rip the mask off currents, etc. etc.

There no right answer "DIR" or otherwise :doh2: Well there is one, don't get the poo kicked out of you doing something stoopid.

Picking through the responses to my original question, I get that in heavy swells or waves good DIR practice would be to consolidate the shallow stop(s) below the swells. I do not do deco diving, so gas switching is not a consideration, but one person suggested that under such circumstances it is wise to take something like EAN80 instead of EAN100 so that a less shallow stop is an option.
You would lose all the benefits of standard gasses if you used EAN80. And if the conditions did happen to deteriorate, you might not have it when you wanted it, so you'd need a back-up plan for that anyway. If you are looking for DIR answers, EAN80 isn't one.

You would lose all the benefits of standard gasses if you used EAN80. And if the conditions did happen to deteriorate, you might not have it when you wanted it, so you'd need a back-up plan for that anyway. If you are looking for DIR answers, EAN80 isn't one.

Sorry, I was just trying to summarize the responses. I was looking for strictly DIR answers, so thank you for pointing out that using EAN80 isn't appropriate. In any event... in the near future there will be no deco bottle under my arm of any description.

Guys, I randomly deleted some of the worst non-DIR answers and the responses. But, I didn't have time to read through the whole thread. These kind of blowups don't happen that often anymore and it is probably best handled with the regulars that actually know the DIR answer correcting the rubbish. I travel internationally for work and just don't read this board that regularly. So, if you guys want a more mod heavy presence, a few people need to step up and volunteer to do the modding.

For a partial on-topic post, keep in mind that many of those advocating NE is diving is different are basing this on large boats filled with numerous non-DIR divers diving wildly different schedules. Frankly, getting on these types of boats in the first place effectively makes your dive a non-DIR dive since it is either more difficult, or not possible, to dive or respond to situations in a DIR manner. This particularly argument has been made over, and over, and over again. There is plenty of reasoning out there shooting it down, particularly from GI3.

Rtodd, I think you erased a lot of good discussion about the reasoning behind some of these practices. Instead of deleting posts, can't we move them somewhere else so people can at least see where the discusssion went? This seems more like censorship than moderation.

I agree with battles2a5 - this type of moderation is OTT and does more harm than good in my view. The DIR lads have their own sandbox for purely DIR dicussions with no non-DIR people being allowed to post (A sanctuary for the DIR faithful, non-DIR discussions will not be tolerated).

Predictably it is dead as a dodo though, I guess they simply don't have as much fun when there are no strokes to bash over the head?

This thread was a good example of non-DIR perspectives outside of the "DIR Practitioners Zone".

Good point, Kicking the entire thread out of the DIR zone and into the tech forum would have been one possible response, but since it started here the DIR folks pretty much own it and it would be their call.

Interesting comment though on NE wreck diving and feelign you are putting yourself on a boat where DIR s not possible. It seems to be a bit of a defeatest attitude to take to say it can't be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom