Ten Foot/3 Metre Stops in Heavy Swells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few comments form someone who has been doing this stuff for almost 30 years now.

Fining against a 2-3 knot current? A knot is 2,025 yards in an hour. Try fining at 1 knot for 20 minutes and then talk to me, no diver can fin at 2 to 3 knots for more then a few seconds. Fully rigged you might be able to keep up with a 1/4 knot current if you are in good shape; others have talked about the effect on gas consumption.

Are we not saying the same thing?

So, because you know more than everyone else, you don't have to kick at a pace equal to the current to hold your position? You seem to have the answer to everything & lash out at every opportunity you get.
Great contribution:shakehead:

Since Brians not here...I'll do it for him.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooosh

Since Brians not here...I'll do it for him.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooosh

Oh I'm here. I just get tired of playing whack-a-numpty. No sense arguing with those that are too lazy to go back and read the entire thread.

The DIR forum has certainly gotten a bit more colorful in the last couple of weeks.

This is the DIR forum, isn't it? Is it still a no trolling zone or did I miss the memo?

Apparently the DIR forum is here so that all the non-DIR types can jump in with their non-DIR answers and this somehow helps the OPs find what the DIR answer is to their question.

It is not a DIR works or does not work argument, it is about DIR divers having the brains and open mindedness to adapt as needed for specific conditions to remain optimally configured for the dive.

Ah yes, the old "DIR divers don't listen to me therefore they are closed minded" argument.

If I can easily manage deco when diving off shore in rough seas with a Jon Line why would I opt to use a scooter - that I may not have had along on the dive anyway? And a Jon line is a lot easier to bring aboard in high seas than a 50 lb scooter.

My scooter doesn't weigh 50 lbs. And even when I had a 50 lb scooter we managed to bring it aboard in high seas. It's all about making the proper choices before the boat leaves the dock.

A spool will work for a Jon line substitute, but if the odds are high that you will need a "jon line" of some sort, why not bring one along to start with?

Because I already have a spool.

And the odds of needing a Jon line or substitute are not that high with proper prior planning.

It is true that neccesity is the mother of invention and that you could press a spool or primary reel into use in all sorts of situations. But what if in the course of a dive in high seas and strong current you get back to the point where the anchor was tied in and find the anchor and line gone?

Well let's see what I actually have done in that situation...oh, I know, I shot a bag and did a floating deco and either the main boat followed or the mate got in the chase boat and followed. Or when we knew that the conditions were not favourable enough for a floating deco and the scenario was quite likely to happen we called the dive before we left the dock.

Would you rather have a very DIR spool or primary reel or a very non DIR jersey upline? The lighter cave or wreck line might work but I'd prefer not to bet my life on it or at best risk drifting for several hours at sea hoping the boat finds me if the line broke.

This argument just keeps going around and around and around.

This is the DIR forum, isn't it? Is it still a no trolling zone or did I miss the memo?

The DIR forum has certainly gotten a bit more colorful in the last couple of weeks.

The DIR forum does seem a bit colourful. However speaking as the OP on this thread, I posted my question in the DIR forum specifically because I wanted to understand the DIR perspective on this situation. I respect that there are many opinions on how to handle the circumstances I described, however I feel that the very best thing is for us to stay on-topic within each thread and respect the purpose of each forum.

Pax.

lets imagine that the conditions changed while they were down ... if they do change, then that's not a fair answer

Good grief. People know when fog is dicey, they know when swells are significant, swells are coming in from 1000s of kilometers away from well established weather systems afterall. There is internet access to offshore buoy data to track know all this stuff and more. We have the best stinkin' meterological services in the world now and you can get the data via email, cell, SSB, or weatherfax from anywhere for anywhere. If your charter skipper is that novice, build your common experience base on easier sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom