Tenkiller (oklahoma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has any one had any reports on Lake Tenkiller lately?????

Has any one had any reports on Lake Tenkiller lately?????

You will have one by tomorrow night! :eyebrow:

I should be at the dive park around nine or so. Anyone care to be brave in the new year?

LOL Ill be brave when the water warms up. LOL After that I am fair game for any safe fun diving :)

At the scuba park today at TenKiller...thanks K...it was rain filled fog and windy.

water temp is 50 degrees
viz: at pour 4-5 at best, The lake looks about 10 ta 12 ft low lots of silt
Its easy to find the wreck's around 29ft it gets really really dark around 50ft take a light!

Their was two guys watching me from their RV one had his gear hooked up and ready to go but I think they were on the verge of not going. I got looked at hard as I was setting up out of my blazer lol. I hit the water around noon and turned on my gopro in hopes to get a good vid or two...the jury is still out on that one...
I found the tag line going to a set of boat wreck's easy, The plane is also at 29ft.

On a sad not My dive flag and float poped and I got tangled in the line....I had the float since 1999 :(

And on a funny not the two guys finaly got their gear on and hit the water after I was out and putting my gear away, one was wearing a 3mm it was 32 out and snowing! :rofl3:

Happy note I found a ScubaPro knife not far from the plane! :D:D:D

Attachments

• 735768_554436097918433_1770108164_o.jpg
    735768_554436097918433_1770108164_o.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 217
At the scuba park today at TenKiller...thanks K...it was rain filled fog and windy.

water temp is 50 degrees
viz: at pour 4-5 at best, The lake looks about 10 ta 12 ft low lots of silt
Its easy to find the wreck's around 29ft it gets really really dark around 50ft take a light!

Their was two guys watching me from their RV one had his gear hooked up and ready to go but I think they were on the verge of not going. I got looked at hard as I was setting up out of my blazer lol. I hit the water around noon and turned on my gopro in hopes to get a good vid or two...the jury is still out on that one...
I found the tag line going to a set of boat wreck's easy, The plane is also at 29ft.

On a sad not My dive flag and float poped and I got tangled in the line....I had the float since 1999 :(

And on a funny not the two guys finaly got their gear on and hit the water after I was out and putting my gear away, one was wearing a 3mm it was 32 out and snowing! :rofl3:

Happy note I found a ScubaPro knife not far from the plane! :D:D:D

Wow thats cool. The knife was a great find. I got to dive with a friend once in Oronogo and we had snow falling. It was 30 degrees and I 5 milled it LOL. Now in the water it was a nice 50 degrees on the bottom but out of the water the wind was stout. we ran to the locker room and changed and I could not get warm to save my life. Luckily my better half warmed up the explorer while we were in the locker room.

Its getting harder to find good quality divers around these parts with the economy and such. I ended up this year with a handful of great divers dedicated to safe and excellent diving but I found dive mastering to be the best course of action. I had excellent students who were very dedicated to learning and that made it all worth while.

Maybe this year we can set up some great dives together. I know some of the group is wanting to schedule a florida road trip to some great dives too if your interested. Youd love the group. Some of the areas finest divers who love it as much as we do :)

By the way how deep was the bus????

I wish Oronogo was still open its sad that its closed now. Ya I really got cold yeaterday while getting me line for my float undone from the swim marker buoyat the surface with the wind and only 23 it got cold fast so I sat in the blazer for a bit till I warmed up enf to break down my gear lol.

Ya I have had a lot of friends and buddy's give up the sprot and sell off their gear due to the economy, but I dont see why I should stop a sport that I love to take part in!
Ya I finished up my Ins this last summer and had a great time doing it I like watching new people get started in the sport..and its a great new way to keep motivated but thats never really been a problem.
I would like to catch up and do a meet an dive this summer.

And around the bus is were I got tangled so I dont recall how deep just that I had to find out what was going on at the surface.
I'm going to try and get back at the end of the month, gota keep them skills up ya know!

LOL so true. I have a small group of divers that are fun loving and we are going to try to make the march up there this summer. I was doing divemastering for a couple different places but one thing I found is my home shop has to be one of the greatest things thats ever happened to me. Ive been on here for a while and I have ran into a lot of dive pros and other divers who just seem to encourage not safe practices so I decided to give up on trying to keep everyone happy and started dealing soley with the home shop.

Your right though diving when done appropriately and within safe diving practices is amazingly fun and addictive. I have done some deep dives but have found the best dives at least localy in my opinion to be in the 0 - 60 foot range. Not really anything deeper then that to encourage me to cut dives shorter and take longer surface intervals so I love to just relax in the waters :)

Oronogo was a great site and one that will trully be missed though. Hope to hear from you on the dive report next time you head out too. Cant miss too much diving as I am ready to get wet again :)

The right LDS does make things better I also feel lucky for the shop I deal with most of the time but I do also deal with a few others that make you feel at home and not a lump of meat or trash walking through the door!

The only person I try to keep happy is me.....er my wife! :eyebrow:

Ten K is only an hour for me what is it from Tulsa? I'm going to try and build a scuba map over the next few dive's it gives me goals while under water.
I have been maping the dive park at Beaver Lake for the past few years and have most if not all of the wrecks marked now all I have to do is mark them above and below the water for a good detail and build my final map! :coffee: oh and collect video. I helped re-map and GPS most of the sites on Norfork Lake for Jordan a what seems many years back, it was alot of fun.
Dan at Jordan has a video of the sites around the lake that he plays in the shop.

You might start projects like this for your own group. I just cant seem to get people inlolved. :shakehead:

The right LDS does make things better I also feel lucky for the shop I deal with most of the time but I do also deal with a few others that make you feel at home and not a lump of meat or trash walking through the door!

The only person I try to keep happy is me.....er my wife! :eyebrow:

Ten K is only an hour for me what is it from Tulsa? I'm going to try and build a scuba map over the next few dive's it gives me goals while under water.
I have been maping the dive park at Beaver Lake for the past few years and have most if not all of the wrecks marked now all I have to do is mark them above and below the water for a good detail and build my final map! :coffee: oh and collect video. I helped re-map and GPS most of the sites on Norfork Lake for Jordan a what seems many years back, it was alot of fun.
Dan at Jordan has a video of the sites around the lake that he plays in the shop.

You might start projects like this for your own group. I just cant seem to get people inlolved. :shakehead:

Well thats the problem. My group is small with and with work and family and many other things its just not been easy to get divers in the water.

One problem though is even though diving is a social sport I have noticed most divers tend to be clingly to a real good dive buddy when they find one. Not hard to do if you really look. I think the biggest problem is newer divers get with mentors who give just down right bad advice encouraging people to go deeper then they should or are certified for and then when something bad happens it scares them off for life or at least from trusting other divers.

I did once map out the area at Tenkiller though its been a while it may not be a bad idea to remap it again. There have been a few attractions added and a few taken away over time. Perhaps this could be a job for us to do this coming summer. Oh and Tenkiller is an hour to an hour and a half depending on weather conditions and traffic etc....

Well thats the problem. My group is small with and with work and family and many other things its just not been easy to get divers in the water.

One problem though is even though diving is a social sport I have noticed most divers tend to be clingly to a real good dive buddy when they find one. Not hard to do if you really look. I think the biggest problem is newer divers get with mentors who give just down right bad advice encouraging people to go deeper then they should or are certified for and then when something bad happens it scares them off for life or at least from trusting other divers.

I did once map out the area at Tenkiller though its been a while it may not be a bad idea to remap it again. There have been a few attractions added and a few taken away over time. Perhaps this could be a job for us to do this coming summer. Oh and Tenkiller is an hour to an hour and a half depending on weather conditions and traffic etc....

Yes new or divers who don't dive on a regular base tend to be very clingy but if I have other or myself that feels like stretching their legs for new limits sure lets go but safety has to be first.

sure lets find time this next year and adventure, I also have found a story and ill post it later on a regular computer as I'm using an iPad but the story tells that the old town of Cookson still has a few buildings left and the cemetery is also diveable. And if anyone reading this knows anything bout it please chime in!

I also have posted my bad video on YouTube, it's listed under tenkiller 1-1-2013 airplane. So please tell me what you think! Like I said its bad due to me not having the right fixtures for my go pro and being new to underwater video lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom