Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?

Teric owners, have you required repair or replacemant service?

• No

Votes: 82 45.3%
  • Yes, repair

Votes: 35 19.3%
  • Yes, replacement

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Yes, multiple repair and/or replacement

Votes: 38 21.0%
  • Other, see post

Votes: 10 5.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a follow-up on my Teric battery issue. I ran the test twice and finished both times with 88% remaining after two days. I spoke with Shearwater again, and we agreed that since it was pretty close to their benchmark I would just watch it. They did offer the repair now if I wanted, but allowed as to how it might take awhile, what with COVID issues and all. Once again, l have nothing but praise for their customer service.

Just a follow-up on my Teric battery issue. I ran the test twice and finished both times with 88% remaining after two days. I spoke with Shearwater again, and we agreed that since it was pretty close to their benchmark I would just watch it. They did offer the repair now if I wanted, but allowed as to how it might take awhile, what with COVID issues and all. Once again, l have nothing but praise for their customer service.

Shearwater repairs and service in the U.S. are handled by Dive-Tronix, in Washington state.

I just received my second Teric back from them on Wednesday. They have now repaired both of my Terics within the last month or so. Each time, they turned it around in 1 day. If you mailed it Priority Mail on a Monday, you'd probably have it back on Saturday.

Dive-Tronix is a small operation. It's just Richard Morton and his wife. Richard does the repairs and Michele handles the billing and first line customer service/support. They are both awesome! Richard does absolutely top notch work and they are both just super nice people.

With everybody staying home right now, they have very little work to do. Now is actually a great time to send them anything that you need to have work done on.

If you have a Perdix/Petrel/Predator that is more than 5 years old and has never been serviced, it is due, per Shearwater specs. Richard charges a flat $125 for servicing any of those and the service includes a new face plate and, on the Petrel and Perdix, I think it also includes one of the new titanium bezels. Don't quote me on that, though. I know that is included on one of those, but I'm not sure which, or if it's both. And the service includes new O-rings all around and some other little things. I think it is well worth it if you have a Pxxx that is looking all beat up, to have it back looking like new and sealed up like new.

So, only 46 responses, I would have thought there were far more Teric owners on SB than that.

It's difficult for me to believe that 40% of Teric's have required service, but that's what the poll shows. It may be that owners with problems are more likely to respond than those without problems.

If you are a Teric owner who has not responded, please consider participating

I only answered once, for my Teric needed the battery replacement.

One of my Dive Buddies had his replaced for a faulty AI receiver.

My Teric was purchased upon release and the new firmware does seem to preserve battery better than previously. I am running the 2 day test now and it will be very close to spec.

Diving with it has been terrific and I have no complaints. I do use the Perdix as a backup.

Voted that I needed service. I am assuming that is what it will be but I just sent it in on Monday so have not heard back as of yet. I suspected I was having battery drain from storage although it was right on the line as far as what they are calling a problem. Was a bit more concerned when teaching this weekend I experienced 30% battery drain on both Saturday and Sunday over about a six hour period. I had started fully charged each day.

As an update - my Teric passed the 2 day test but would lose serious battery power over the following weeks. Shearwater advised that I send it in to Dive-Tronix for warranty battery replacement and they turned it around in a week.

I have it back now and ready to get wet.

My Teric is in for the second time in 2 years. Prior to the Teric (now my backup) I dove with an OCi. I wanted 1 computer to rule them all, as I started to learn Technical Diving. Sadly, the Teric never lived up to the hype. I ended up using my OCi for pool sessions, as it was superior in this environment. Also, due to the tone used in the Teric I could never hear it with my hearing loss, again the OCi still wakes me up on time on dive trips. I am now debating on selling the Teric for a different Trimix computer. Shearwater has been great with the repairs, so maybe I will go to the Perdix for Tech, and still use the OCi for Rec and Pool. Then again, the Aqualung i470 looks nice and removes the cable.

@MikadoWu How disappointing! :( What is it about the OCi that you prefer for pool use?

Chalk up another superior service to Shearwater/Dive-tronix. Sent my Teric in on Monday (they got it yesterday) and I just received an email back saying that it is going back out in the mail today coming back to me. No word on what had to be done to it but whatever it was it was done quick, fast, and in a hurry!

EDIT/UPDATE
This is what was found/done.

Found the battery to be within factory specs for discharge rates, but not well within. He thought it would be best to change the circuit board in case there was an intermittent draw that was not detectable during his testing and inspection. He also replaced the battery for good measure. There were a few minor depth sensor modifications that needed to be made, which he did.

@MikadoWu How disappointing! :( What is it about the OCi that you prefer for pool use?

1. Working with an independent instructor a lot of gear is slung around during pool session. The Metal Teric is vulnerable to scratches, as i scratched my first Teric on day 1.

2. Can not hear the alarm, which I use a lot for our scheduled activities.

3. Visibility, Teric not as good in direct Florida sunlight.

Again, it is not that the Teric is a Bad Dive computer. The Teric is Marketed as :" The Watch that Transforms you", and in that , was a selling point for me, which I do not believe they accomplished.

Now i figure I can just use a Perdix maybe even a Petral for all real Dives, and my OCi during training and back up in the OW. I could do this with the Teric and OCi, but I do not want to keep replacing the Teric Batteries.

Back
Top Bottom