Terminated on grounds of amputation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I noticed that as well. That is unfortunate, as I think there are a number of people following the thread, who would like to better understand what happened.

I worked 12 hours a day without any issues and my previous employer fired me because of my amputation even after I had disclosed it and sold everything to come down here...
7ee90ce1ee945cca24747b3791cf42d1.png
I was at bird rock for 2 months. I was working hard every day with ease! I never had any issues. The issue all started when I was caught in a drift and i was waving the boat to come get us. The boat captain just watched as I had to tow a lady with an artificial hip back to the boat against a current for 15 minutes. He... just.... watched
I was hired here as an PADI OWSI, and had one guy take all the certifications as it was based on commission and he kept saying "people don't like you because you're different". It was very mentally abusive here based on my disability as well sadly. I'm also an instructor with HSA

Last edited:
Apparently discrimination is not black and white in St Kitt's, so i'm not sure about any legal aid here...

i would check with the labor board because you cannot fire any one for a disability as for calling you out on it is harassment .there are labor laws in place to protect people and it doesnt cost you anything to contact them and they will investigate ,now thats in Canada ,im not sure about a third world island

I was at bird rock for 2 months. I was working hard every day with ease! I never had any issues. The issue all started when I was caught in a drift and i was waving the boat to come get us. The boat captain just watched as I had to tow a lady with an artificial hip back to the boat against a current for 15 minutes. He... just.... watched
I was hired here as an PADI OWSI, and had one guy take all the certifications as it was based on commission and he kept saying "people don't like you because you're different". It was very mentally abusive here based on my disability as well sadly. I'm also an instructor with HSA

Thanks for adding details and context. Any reason why you think the Captain might have been working against you? Sounds like he hung you out to dry a bit... Is the Capt tight with management and you just lost because of politics?

In any case.. Sorry it all went south. best of luck for future endeavors!

Well, the captain here was hired as a dive manager from Cayman (where he said he was a Manager at red sail). Turns out he lied (lovely CD friend did some digging) and was actually fired after a few months after arriving and spent the rest of the time as a beach bum. He's really close with the owner here. I'm not sure why, when I had to get the lady back, that I was hung out to dry. Poor manager skills from a fake manager i guess. He had mentioned he was a dive manager as a dive master in Cayman and was making 230$ a day, where he came here making 20$ a day. Something never added up so I did some digging!

Last edited:
It would be nice if people could share this image to shed light on how bad discrimination can be! I would really appreciate it!

It may be the newbie guppies don't have any confidence in themselves, and so are incapable of having confidence in you. Since you are a member of HSA, is there any less discrimination with more advanced training with more confident, self reliant students? This might be a valuable survey.

Back
Top Bottom