Ternate, Halmahera and Morotai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ruth,

I've visited Halmahera twice, the first time on a liveaboard trip from Ternate to Sorong and the second time we stayed at Weda Resort.

On the liveaboard trip we visited a diverse range of sites in a variety of island groups - Makian, Goraichi, Kasiruta, Bacan and Pisang Island. The sites ranged from great black sand critter dives, to perfect reefs and included some very fishy dives.

I can thoroughly recommend Weda Resort. I visited a couple of years ago and had a really enjoyable trip. Rob and Linda have created a great small eco resort in a very special location with some great diving nearby and fantastic bird watching, with the opportunity to see to Birds of Paradise in a forest conservation area they have set up. Again there was a good variety of diving with good macro and beautiful pristine reefs and one site in particular was about as fishy as they come including a school of thousands of oceanic triggerfish and the largest grouper I've ever seen. Perhaps the diving was just a notch below the very best I've seen of R4 or Komodo but it is still very good and I wouldn't think twice about going back.

I took loads of video whilst I was there and haven't got round to editing much of it but here are couple - one showing the resort and the other taken at Elmo's Reef which is a very beautiful wall dive.

Richard

Thank you Gracero for the videos. They brought back memories of our trip to Weda - about 5 years ago. I recall the large puffer fish. I thought they were the largest I would ever see, until last year in Lembeh. The land-experience at Weda is a wonderful add-on. The hornbills flying past the cottages, the birds of paradise in the forest just a short distance away. And waking up in the middle of the night and seeing twinkling stars - delirious or dreaming? - fall asleep again. It turned out to be fireflies flying up in the roof space.

I would certainly say it is fishy and well worth doing - you can probably see from the clip my little foray into the Mouth of the Dragon Volcano dive will always remain one of my favourite ever dives.

Hard to define a top three purely for diving - but I will say I have a great love for Bangka, a longing for Alor again and hard to split Dampier Straits and the Bandas.

Hey Wingy, is that Bangka off Sulawesi or Bangka off Sumatra?

Bangka off Sulawesi - across from Lembeh, easy from Manado or Makassar. Some genius at Lion Air once sent me to the Bangka off Sumatra with a hand written ticket (I should've double checked, was my fault really) when I wanted to go to Padang not either Bangka -shrug - it a tin mine that features heavily in pollution and mining documentaries - Bangka means tin.

"Apparently there is some diving nearby that a hotel on an island that is not an active minesite" the hotel offers diving but from the pics I saw on their flyer it looked a bit moonscape like.
I decided to forgo the hassle and head back to Jakarta and try again that night.

I was young enough to half sleep on airport floors and gardens then - don't make the same mistake lol :)

Last edited:
Bangka off Sulawesi - across from Lembeh, easy from Manado or Makassar. Some genius at Lion Air once sent me to the Bangka off Sumatra with a hand written ticket (I should've double checked, was my fault really) when I wanted to go to Padang not either Bangka -shrug - it a tin mine that features heavily in pollution and mining documentaries - Bangka means tin.

"Apparently there is some diving nearby that a hotel on an island that is not an active minesite" the hotel offers diving but from the pics I saw on their flyer it looked a bit moonscape like.
I decided to forgo the hassle and head back to Jakarta and try again that night.

I was young enough to half sleep on airport floors and gardens then - don't make the same mistake lol :)

Whoops glad I checked hahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom