terrible dilemma - housing vs strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
posted this in the G15 thread but putting it out in the open photo area...here's my dilemma: get the new nauticam G15 housing for $1050...or 2 new strobes (Z240s, maybe D2000) and a dome unit for roughly the same price? most of my diving is less than 130ft. i only do a handful of dives deeper than that...in that respect, getting 2 new strobes with sTTL makes sense. but having the added depth rating on the nauticam makes sense as well. what to do? :shakehead:

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 08:39 AM ----------

edit: maybe I should re-title this to "help me waste money"

What housing do you have? the 130ft rated canon OEM?
Even if you do, unless you regularly do deeper dives than 130ft (which unless you hold tech certs you kinda shouldnt) for photography purposes I would get strobe(s) rather than another housing for the same camera.
For the record though, and this is not advisable in any way - I bet the housing wont leak till well above the rated depth, but the buttons might not be very smooth at greater depth..

Go with the strobes. You will get much more out of them, until you can get the housing.

Haven't had problems with previous Canon OEM housings, either so I guess that's another vote for some nice strobes. I already have (2) YS02s which I have no qualms with, either. But I guess trying sTTL would be nice and make things a bit easier.

Hey, you can always use four strobes, cant you? :p

Canon housing have some limitation but with due care last a long time
With the G15 I would go for dome + strobes as priority because this will have an immediate benefit on the pictures, you can change housing at later stage

Canon housing have some limitation but with due care last a long time
With the G15 I would go for dome + strobes as priority because this will have an immediate benefit on the pictures, you can change housing at later stage

Kinda my thinking as well...just not sure I need/want sTTL.

Yeah, I always shoot manual...even on land. I got a few days before my tax return gets here so I am just thinking "out loud."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom