Terror in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bicster

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, I'm 32, and I live in Houston, TX. My wife and I started our PADI Open Water certification class recently, but I chickened out during the first pool session.

When I was 3 or 4, my parents had a pool in the backyard and they hired someone to teach me to swim. I took like a fish to water. Throughout my childhood I had easy access to swimming pools, and I remember playing with toys with my friends under 10' of water all the time. I guess my point here is that I've never been afraid of water before. I don't get wet much anymore, but when my wife and I were in Playa del Carmen in 2003, I had no trouble swimming out into the ocean a few hundred feet to the end of the no-watercraft buoy.

Yet, for some reason, the most horrible death I could possibly imagine involves drowning. I have no idea why. I can certainly think of far more painful ways to go, yet if I had to choose, I'd pick being burned alive over sucking lungfuls of water. And perhaps this is the reason for my trouble. But I had no nervousness at all until I took my first breath underwater...

We were learning some basic compass navigation stuff in the PADI class when I noticed my rented compass didn't work. They happily swapped out the whole kit, and I stupidly didn't check it before heading off to the pool for our first water session. After I got in the water, I noticed that my reg's mouthpiece was bitten off pretty badly. I couldn't hold it securely in my mouth and it made me nervous. The instructor (just a kid of 19, albeit with 11 years of diving under his belt) was dismissive of my discomfort with the situation and suggested I use it anyway. After I decided I could not, he told me to use the octopus.

The octopus scared the hell out of me. It had significantly greater (to me) inhalation and exhalation effort, but worse yet, as soon as it got wet it sounded like a kazoo or perhaps a loud quack with each breath, while vibrating in my mouth. Underwater or above water made no difference.

The instructor told me to use it anyway, and then decided it was the reg I was supposed to be breathing from in the first place, after I produced a nylon zip-tie to move the good mouthpiece to the other reg. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure we learned in class that the brightly colored reg with the extra long brightly-colored hose is the safe-second... So his assurances that it was 'normal' and that I should just go ahead and continue with the class did not put me at ease.

I was even uncomfortable breathing from that thing outside the water while watching everyone else continue with their class. The other reg was OK. Maybe it was safe and 'working normally' but I was freaked out. Nobody elses reg made nearly that much racket underwater.

This happened the Saturday before last. The LDS has been supportive and offered to let me join any of their other classes, which they have every week, rotating through a rather long roster of instructors.

I still get really nervous when I think about breating through a reg though. Their rental equipment all looks pretty old and ratty to me. Apparently it's not old, but it's well-used and not properly cared for by the renters. Yellowed gauges, rust, broken bits, and so on do not inspire my confidence. My wife and I have already spent $1,700 on snorkeling equipment and PADI lessons (we both requried custom prescription dive masks). If I buy a reg, octo, and gauges it will significantly add to that without any assurances that I will ever become comfortable with scuba.

I know this is all psycological. I really want to do this. Like I said, I love the water--and I am totally fascinated by aquatic life. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can relax and make this within my comfort zone, I'd greatly appreciate it. Even now I have that tight, nervous feeling in my chest. That can't be good!

I hate seeing this..... It's those LDS's and their RUSH RUSH scuba classes..a Nineteen yr old teaching scuba!?!?!?!? Crappy rental and student gear... I feel soooo sorry for scuba students these days...... The last shop I worked for ...their matoo was "It's all about the money" It's a wonder the industry is surviving.......

Bicster:
I know this is all psycological. I really want to do this... If anyone has any suggestions on how I can relax and make this within my comfort zone, I'd greatly appreciate it. Even now I have that tight, nervous feeling in my chest. That can't be good!
Here are a couple thoughts:

1. No, it isn't good. Being relaxed underwater is real important, however, it ISN'T something most of us are born with. It takes time and a number of dives to become relaxed underwater. So don't become more anxious because you're "not relaxed underwater". Anxiety among new students is normal. [That said, continued anxiety to the point that you are not able to continue scuba training may be an indicator that scuba diving is not going to be your sport...]

2. Yes your discomfort is psychological. The cure, however, is not psychological. If the effect of anxiety is being caused or exacerbated by poor equipment, you have two choices: Either (A) buy your own regs (and an SPG - ONLY an SPG, no console - buy the rest later in wrist mounts); or (B) discuss the matter with the LDS owner and spend some time in the shop picking out a decent rental regulator. Some of them will be better than others. The LDS owner should be able to pull out a good one and set it aside for you.

[If s/he doesn't, then buy a set of regs off the internet (or call Larry from ScubaToys - on this board) and to hell with your LDS. BTW, $1700 spent on 2 x mask/fins/snorkel/booties and instruction is ~$850 per diver: this is not outrageous (esp. if you both needed custom lenses in your masks - don't lose them!). If you and your wife had decided to take up downhill snow skiing, the cost of 2 x skis, boots, poles, helmet, goretex pants, parka, gloves, and instruction would have been at least as much, if not more...just FWIW]

3. If your LDS is accommodating, then one of the things that may help you to relax is to simply spend time in the pool while another class is going on, but not actually in the class. Assuming your regs work well, simply breathing underwater, either developing neutral bouyancy or swimming about and observing the class, will increase your comfort level significantly. If your LDS will offer you additional pool time in other classes, this is potentially very beneficial, and something I urge you to consider.

Solve the reg problem. Working with your LDS owner should go a long way in that direction. Then spend more time in the pool. Then its time to get your Zen on, dude. Calm down, breath slow and deep, and work on relaxing.

Its all good.

Doc

Oh, by the way, welcome to ScubaBoard! :D

Hope you find the place helpful. It might astonish you to learn this, but you wouldn't be the very first new diver to experience 'terror in the water'! :)

In fact, this same subject has come up now and again, and some others have had very helpful things to say about it. Up at the top of the page, beneath where it says "Welcome, Bicster" there is a control bar - third button from the right is Search, click on it and find "Advanced Search", and click on that. By entering words like "new anxiety nervous" or the like, you'll be able to find quite a few previous threads where other divers have gone through exactly what you're going through. You might find these threads useful (or not,) but either way it might be worth your time to check the archives.

Have fun here, don't hesitate to ask questions, and don't get all wound up in the details. Hope your classes are enjoyable, and that you and your wife enjoy diving.

Doc

what doc said

and just one thought:

it's your diving experience, your diving eductation, and ultimately, your life

take charge of it. don't let anyone push you into situations you don't feel
comfortable with

any diver can end any dive for any reason or no reason at all

Welcome to the board. I hate to hear you had such a terrible start with scuba diving. I really don't have a straight answer to your question. I think you just need to give yourself enough time to get use to the idea of scuba. Just because it takes you a little longer to get use to it, doesn't mean you don't belong in scuba diving. Some of the best instructors started out in the same situation you are in right now. Trust me though when I say this..... Don't give up.... Keep at it and you will get there. I may seem like it happened all at once. You will suddenly feel at one with the ocean and it's creatures. You want regret sticking it out, but I promise you will regret NOT sticking it out.... It all takes time... Some more than others... Please don't give up.

The other way around with you, I was afraid of fish. I picked scuba because my husband wanted to try and I thought...what the hell, let's try. Lucky for me, I afraid of fish and wreck no more.

Most people would feel nervous for their OW lesson, try to think positif and remember the most basic rule, do not panic. If you start to feel uncomfortable, take a deep breath and relax. When you relax, you can think clearly and solve your difficulties.

It's common that you freak out with the equipment. My rental bcd gave me trouble everytime, leaks, couldn't be inflated, until I had my own. But make sure you love and want to continue diving before you buy the heavy equipment. They cost a lot of money.

Why don't you request for another set of equipment? An instructor can do as far as lending their own equipment when the student's fails.

Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've already done a lot of searching and reading on this forum over the last week. It has helped.

I also realize $1700 is not an unreasonable investment for two divers at this point. My dilemma is that if I buy regs/bcd's, etc., I will want to invest in gear that I can use for a good long time without wanting to upgrade again. If for some reason I hate diving, I will have wasted a ton of money. If my wife decides she hates it, I will have wasted a ton of money... I will definitely ask the LDS to set aside some of their better rental equipment next time.

Sometimes I think the LDS does not "get it." We spent a lot of time trying to explain our vision needs to them and they tried very hard to encourage us to get pre-made lenses that would not even come close to approximating our vision on the surface. I can forgive this because I don't think anyone who works there wears corrective lenses, and they were trying to save us money.

At the end of the day, it seems like they are genuinely trying to keep us happy, and I think I will be fine even if it takes me a bit longer.

If all else fails there are a TON of dive shops in Houston. The place I bought my mask at has a much larger store and better selection of equipment. (I bought my wife's Rx mask mail-order.) I also have LDS recommendations from a friend-of-a-friend. The reason we didn't go with one of those places for training was due to driving distance and class schedules. I think in the future I will pay less attention to inconveniences like that and focus instead on getting the best instruction possible.

I'll be back in the pool next weekend!

Welcome!

I'm lucky in that I'm a natural waterbaby, but I do know people who hace the same anxieties as you. You'll probably find a lot information here on this kind of subject.

Just remember you don't have to do anything that makes you uncomfortable - and listen to the other guys...that's some sensible advice they're offering.

Good luck and keep posting!

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Back
Top Bottom