Terror in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
Holly cow I'm not the only one who has that recurring dream! Spread my arms run a bit and soar off above the city streets.

Maybe it was a metaphor for the 3 dimensional freedom of diving that I wanted to do all of my life. Now that I'm certified I don't get that dream anymore.

Pete

Yeah, Thorazine can really take the fun out of things, eh?

Oh, wait, that was "certified", not "certifiable"...

Do not give up buddy!!! take it easy and i'm sure you'll reach your goal, Welcome to The SB!!!

Regards,

hi again,
sorry for the absence, i'm a teacher and i spend most of my life working - this is probably why i want to escape. I always wanted to be an astronaut too... which is kinda like that three dimensional freedom you're mentioning. Anyway, i just wanted to thank you all for your helpful posts on exactly HOW to go about the (hilarious! undignified!) business of diving in your own bathtub... that's exactly the sort of trial run that will make me a lot happier trying it 'for real'. ANd i think the skin diving advice is great too. I don't think the local pool minds people snorkelling around in it - sea here is too damn cold to go and play now (COrnwall - i think we're around 8-12C at the mo). But thank you thank you. And i'll go to the new members bit and introduce myself properly now. :) Suitably buoyant, and thanks again
H

Hey. Wow. Well, I am still a very new scuba baby and there were times where I thought I wouldn't be able to finish the course because I was terrified of the "put water in your mask and empty (full one!)" part. We were in the GBR about 12 meters down or so and it came to that part. I was the last one. Our instructor went around in a cirlce. I was trying to get myself pumped up for it. She came to me and gave the eyes of "you can do it". I guess I never have a big enough breath of air when I try to blow the water out and some was there...it went up my nose and then I suddenly remembered that I still had my reg in and could breath. Then, it was fine. So after this long explanation...all I want to say is that you will be fine. Just try it again....with a better reg...pump yourself up (your mind that is) and "jump in"!

Hi everyone, Im planning to go into diving soon and get certified. I like the water and I am comfortable being in the water. But what Im scared of are sharks. Can anybody tell me why I should not be afraid of sharks:D

I have found the items in this thread very useful. I passed the theory and exercises in the OW course but when it came to doing an acctual 'proper' dive I freaked out and had to come to the surface. The sensation of being weightless was so weird and I found it hard to come to terms with the fact that there was so much water above me. This is the second diving school I have been with and on hearing what had happened my former instructor came and told me that maybe scuba diving just wasn't for me and to forget about it. I am still determined to continue. I reckon that if I can practice some snorkelling that may help. If I can only overcome the fear of all the water above me (psychological, I know!) but the comment I read about the nearest air being on your back may have helped. So at the moment I am in limbo but hopefully will try and psyche myself up into having another go. third time lucky??

Well I suppose there are probably some folks just not meant to dive but I prefer to think that where there's a will there's a way.

You mention going out skin-diving (snorkeling) that's a wonderful start. Begin with surface swims and work you way into diving down a few feet to get a closer look. Once you are going down 2,3,4, maybe 5 meters on your single breath of air scuba diving with an onboard air supply will be a downright joy and luxury! If this does not come easy to you then get an instructor or mentor to spend a session with you.

Skin-diving will also get you totally comfortable with keeping your face immersed, sustained oral breathing and general watermanship. You may have been less comfortable with these aspects of diving than you realize. You will also get a glimpse into the underwater world and this will encourge you. IMO this should be mastered before ever straping on a tank or sucking on a regulator.

You will need your basic gear, mask fins snorkel and exposure protection. After an outing or 2 you will want to add a weight belt to neutralize some of the excess buoyancy from your wetsuit. You will still be safely buoyant swimming but will be able to descend at will.

Good luck we're pulling for you.
Pete

hopeful diver:
I have found the items in this thread very useful. I passed the theory and exercises in the OW course but when it came to doing an acctual 'proper' dive I freaked out and had to come to the surface. The sensation of being weightless was so weird and I found it hard to come to terms with the fact that there was so much water above me. This is the second diving school I have been with and on hearing what had happened my former instructor came and told me that maybe scuba diving just wasn't for me and to forget about it. I am still determined to continue. I reckon that if I can practice some snorkelling that may help. If I can only overcome the fear of all the water above me (psychological, I know!) but the comment I read about the nearest air being on your back may have helped. So at the moment I am in limbo but hopefully will try and psyche myself up into having another go. third time lucky??

NigerHadiza:
I guess I never have a big enough breath of air when I try to blow the water out and some was there...it went up my nose and then I suddenly remembered that I still had my reg in and could breath.

Why try to clear the mask all in one breath? Especially when neutrally buoyant and midwater (where most diving should take place) taking a BIG breath is likely to start you for the surface. I maintain normal breathing placing a priority on position control and clear the mask with mulriple exhalations if need be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom