Testing new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvrle1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I purchased a new BP&W setup and would like to test it, adjust it, do the weighting and so on. What are my options for this in lower mainland? Are there any shops that would allow me to join the pool sessions? Should I go to whyteclif park and just keep in the shallow water? Any other ideas?

thanks in advance :)

Having just gone through the same testing issues with a bp/w, I suggest going somewhere shallow with easy entry/exit points so you can fiddle with weighting issues. Whytecliff is probably a good choice. You could also try a lake such as Sasamat or Cultus.

Enjoy your new setup!

I'm not sure if Les is still doing it but Langley Diving used to rent the Walnut Grove Pool every Wed. evening for classes. Several times I was able to work on skills there as long as I didn't interupt the class. Could always ask.
That said, Sasamat and Buntzen are close to Vancouver or in the valley the dock complex of Main Beach at Cultus is a very gradual (flat) bottom.
The main skill I found with a BP/W has to do with proper weighting actually. Too much negative weight calls for the diver to over fill the BC on the surface and this forces one to face plant (a common complaint). Proper weighting allows the diver to only add a small amount of air for bouyancy and that problem won't develop.
Hi Paul!

Remember... your weighting will be different from freshwater(less) to saltwater(more). It will also depend on the size and consistency of you tank(s). Aluminum(more) Steel(less).
Will you be using a weight belt? V-weight? P-weight? Weight pockets?
With the wing & backplate setup you will want to distribute the weight evenly over the tanks to help with your trim.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I wil be using weight pockets and hope that I can get away from the belt. I prchased the kit online so going to the LDS isnt really an option. I went to Ocean Quest (where i did my OW and AOW) however I didnt recognize a single person that worked there. I found out that most of the instructions have left for better things.

Thanks again

Don't be so quick to get away from that belt! Pockets are cool and all but they are an expensive solution to a problem already solved by a simpler, less expensive option.
I don't know what area you're from but if you're looking to connect with divers our club is meeting next Thursday (Oct 6) in Abbotsford. The link is in my signature line.

+1 for weight belt. great for experimenting with different weights. Get your pockets set up underweight and just add or remove from the belt as needed. Much quicker and easier. then move on to placing it strategically on your plate. If you are diving steel tanks you may not need any weight at all. I'm using 0 lead anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom