Testing Whether I Can Post A Custom Google Map

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Post link into thread:

Grand Cayman Custom Map

Post using the chain link button:

Grand Cayman Custom Map

Try with Image button:

edit

Try with Media button:

Can't be embedded, I'm told.

With Insert (code) button:

Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAOpAa6WAGe4.kUSRccSQqXlc&usp=sharing

First two worked for me. It was a pleasure, in fact, to zoom in enough that I could trace the various routes I took when walking the island-even to places I'd stop at to cool off or have a bite to eat.

Thanks. What I wish I could do is post the graphic right into a post, like we do an image. Here's what inspired this. I've got a Cayman Aggressor IV trip lined up for mid-May, Lord willing and providing I get to go. If that all works out, I hope to write a trip report. With my trip reports, I sometimes like to include a brief overview of the dive destination, to help people new to it catch up to snuff fast, with links to help them to research elsewhere in more depth.

I did a custom map to show at-a-glance where Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse Point/DiveTech, Sunshine Suites Resort, Sunset House, Turtle Nest Inn and Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers are on the island. You can see fast that C.P./O.F. is a long ways from Georgetown and Seven Mile Beach. Good for some people, bad for others.

Bottom Line: I don't see a way to do it on a forum post. People can click a link to go look at the map. Closest I could come would be somehow copy the map as a graphic; if I could just link to it, like a frame on a webpage, not only would zooming work, but I think any copyright concerns would be addressed, too.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom