Tests for long duration dive alertness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsilva708

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
As some here may know, I will be making a World Record attempt for the longest freshwater dive this coming July, and I am trying to develop a series of "tests" for the support divers to be able to check my alertness during the event. I know some instructors use things link combo locks and math problems to show alertness and abilities during deep training. Does anyone have ideas for other types of tests that can be used during the duration of the dive to test how my though process and alertness are being effected by such a long duration dive.

TIA

Robert

Don't have them focus on gauging your alertness, but rather have them focus on keeping you alert.

Have your support people work in shifts keep you engaged and keep your mind going. Consider playing games via slate, or holding continuing conversations. Basicly the support divers should do the same kinds of things that passengers to to help keep the drive awake on long overnight drives.

In Sea Hunt they did it by playing checkers, assembling puzzles, working algebra problems, things like that. I just watched the episode last night.

Richard

Use a slate to write down all of the animals or interesting events during your dive. It will keep you busy enough not to doze off. You could also read a book.

Dozeing off is not a concern, I plan to sleep during the event anyways.

In Sea Hunt they did it by playing checkers, assembling puzzles, working algebra problems, things like that. I just watched the episode last night.

Richard

Checkers is something I'm planning to have underwater, it is an easy enough game to adapt to work underwater. I enjoy puzzles on dry land, but I'm not sure how to adapt that to work underwater outside of those wooden kids puzzles.

Build a waterproof device that can attach to your wrist. It should contain a signal light and buzzer/vibrator set to go off every 30 min or so. When they do go off, you should press a button on the device to turn it off. Let the device record the latency to turn off the signals. Plot the latencies relative to time in the water and relative to time of day.

What makes you think anything will change? Is this supposed to be a scientific test of some sort?

What makes you think anything will change? Is this supposed to be a scientific test of some sort?

I would think that a dive of this duration would have some effect on my thinking and reasoning ability, and it would just be nice to have a way to judge if my though process is being effected in any way with the time under water. Just like people can get Narked while under water. If there are any signs of deminished thought process it could be a safety risk that needs to be known.

Does anyone have ideas for other types of tests that can be used during the duration of the dive to test how my though process and alertness are being effected by such a long duration dive.

Robert,

We are working on something that will meet your needs and have a high level of scientific rigor. One of my friends is looking at it now to see if the existing software can be converted to the waterproof data collection device. We are getting some technical assistance from the Navy so I feel pretty confident we will have a working prototype in a couple of weeks. One it is validated, I have no problem sending it to you for your dive (I would LOVE to see the data you collect <g>).

I'll keep you posted!

Robert,

We are working on something that will meet your needs and have a high level of scientific rigor. One of my friends is looking at it now to see if the existing software can be converted to the waterproof data collection device. We are getting some technical assistance from the Navy so I feel pretty confident we will have a working prototype in a couple of weeks. One it is validated, I have no problem sending it to you for your dive (I would LOVE to see the data you collect <g>).

I'll keep you posted!

Sounds interesting, keep me posted.

Back
Top Bottom