Texas Clipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DRomano

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diving the Texas Clipper this Wednesday, August 12th out of American Diving. Anyone going on this trip? Any thing I should be aware of?

You should be aware that they blew an engine last week and cancelled all dives for this past week, one of which I was supposed to be on. They expect the repaired engine to be back on Monday and diving to resume as usual by end of the week. Good luck to you.

Also, there were quite a few whale sharks on both the Clipper and on one of the rigs they dive. Maybe they will still be around.

You should be aware that they blew an engine last week and cancelled all dives for this past week, one of which I was supposed to be on. They expect the repaired engine to be back on Monday and diving to resume as usual by end of the week. Good luck to you.

Also, there were quite a few whale sharks on both the Clipper and on one of the rigs they dive. Maybe they will still be around.

The engine deal sucks for you guys trip!

It could have been worse. It could have broke down with us on it and 15 miles out in the gulf. At least it had the decency to break down prior to me lugging enough gear for two divers to the tip of Texas.

My snorkel report is on the Whale Shark thread.

Was once on a dive boat returning to port from the GoM rig dive when the engine started to over-heat and burn oil.....no fun let me tell you......we did make it back to the slip but the engine had troubles and the owner was less than pleased.

From the American Diving web site.

Texas Clipper -Scuba Dive the newest reef here in South Padre Island, Texas

The Texas Clipper is a multilevel dive, meaning experienced, open-water certified divers can explore the A deck and the Promenade at 62 to 80 feet. Penetration divers, experienced with overhead environments, can tackle interior spaces to depths from 70 feet to over 110 feet. Meanwhile, because much of the wreck is more than 60 feet above the bottom it may be explored by entry level divers. We recommend entry level divers consider professionally guided dives.

how deep of a dive is that? I would be interested in diving it sometime

It starts at 65ft and hits bottom around 132. Though you should plan the majority of your dive in the 70 - 100 ft range (perfect for diving EAN32).

I am heading out there tomorrow, so will come by and give a report on conditions. The Diver 1 looks like it will be Friday or Saturday before she is back up and running. Had a local report that whale sharks are still in on the 9 mile rig (Little Sara). They saw a 25 footer on Sunday.

Well they called me on Tuesday and told me that the trip was cancelled due to engine problems. I made the drive from Corpus because the hotel would not let me cancel my reservation so we stayed one night in South Padre Island and did the typical tourist thing with the family. we had a good time despite the cancelled trip. Maybe some other time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom