Texas getting serious about artificial reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's looking like this Friday or Saturday MIGHT be the day!

Tugs have left their home ports on the way to Brownsville to pick up the Kraken for a 3 day tow to the reef site.

I'll try to keep this updated once we get a more specific time frame, but I'll probably be a little busy so no guarantees. More likely to get consistent updates on our facebook page.

-Chris

Any update? I haven't seen anything on that FB page not even this news.

I saw on Thermo's FB page that he was planning to take the Fling out this Friday for a sinkex.

Friday is the plan.

We are in some coordinated social media plan of attack so we have lost local control of our Facebook page. Not sure I get the rational for it, but they pay my paycheck so...

But Friday is the day, the coordinates for HI-A-424 are known. What else do you need? We'll have something out on Monday apparently.

Can you tell us who is actually doing the sinking? Are they using explosives or flooding? Will there be a mooring ball?

Windgreen is doing the sinking. Original plan was for explosives but that has been changed to pull-the-plug-and-run.

Initially there will only be a marker buoy, but come summer time we'll add an additional mooring buoy to it. On the marker buoy there is an eye that can be used for mooring if you know what you are doing. The problem is most people don't use enough scope and when their boat hits the top of the light it drives the little anti-bird spike through the light housing, which eventually results in flooding the light. It's a stupid design, and I've taken the spike off this light, but they are still pretty fragile when it comes to banging into a boat for an hour or so. It's also kinda rough on a boat, so put out a few more feet of line!

The marker buoy is on the stern crane boom, the mooring buoy will be on the A-frame on the bow. Those should be far enough apart that two boats can tie up at the same time, even if one if them is the Fling.

This is all assuming the ship ends up in the correct orientation of course.

And there was a post on the facebook page with coordinates earlier today.

Thanks again for everyones support, I can't wait to get her on the bottom!

-Chris

Thanks for the info. I have my fingers crossed for an upright sinking. The flooding approach seems to have had mixed success while Florida has been putting one after another down right with explosives. I guess you answered my next question about whether they left the cranes.

Update and preferably video?

Thanks,
Jay

Facebook postings coming out later today.

I'm teaching all day, but I'll try to post a link later tonight. or you could just follow the one in my sig... :)

-Chris

Hoping it's upright. From the video, the flooding was perfect. Zero list as it submerged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom