Texas river diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longshot270

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a new video made but just like the first one it is mostly pretty shaky from fighting the current.

Here is the video, tell me if it doesn't work. I haven't been able to get it to work online yet.
YouTube - Lookin' at some fish

I'm also working on something to actually hold my camera so it wont be as shaky. I'll post pics in a bit.

My next video should be much better. The problem I've been having is that I don't have a good grip on the camera. Finished a pipe frame that I can mount the camera on. It is a bit bulkier than the commercial housings but it is also collapsible and made out of cheap PVC so the pieces can be rearranged to suit my needs. Luckily there is plenty of room so next I'll probably add a light. Some friends have been talking about a night time trip.

Here are some pics of the set up so far.
IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

I figure it's not bad for a total package (camera, memory card, bag, pipe and fittings) worth less than $70 and can take some decent shallow water videos.

You might have already thought of this, but if you fill the bulging piece of PVC at the bottom of your handle it should help you with stability a bit.
I'd recommend a lead weight or a mesh pouch of gravel or something.
Looks nice!

You might have already thought of this, but if you fill the bulging piece of PVC at the bottom of your handle it should help you with stability a bit.
I'd recommend a lead weight or a mesh pouch of gravel or something.
Looks nice!

Yeah it is on there for that reason specifically. I'm going to fill that with gravel. Also, since it is PVC I can add air to increase buoyancy to have whatever balance I want.

I am anxious to send how it turns out, thanks for sharing it has me thinking.

I am anxious to send how it turns out, thanks for sharing it has me thinking.

If it wasn't for the last few nights being cold I'd go to the other river out here and try spear fishing while getting video but my wetsuit isn't that warm. I like cold beer but not cold water. We'll see if it warms up enough today. The San Marcos is always a bit chilly but I'm starting to get bored with it. The scenery is kinda lame on cloudy days and there are getting to be more people kicking up clouds of sediment.

I dont have a video to post other than some muddy rocks and a speared carp but the camera frame made a huge improvement. Hopefully I'll head back to the San Marcos river soon to get another video there.

Also forgot to post some pics of some new pets I got today. Gotta love going for one thing and ending up with a bonus. Went to the po' boy's pet store (the river) to find a fish for my 50 gallon tank to control the algae growth.

aIMG_0871.jpg

aIMG_0869.jpg

But before I caught that little guy, I saw this and couldn't pass it up. It is related to shrimp and crayfish. I didn't measure it but it is probably about 10 inches in just body. The claws easily add another 4-6 inches.

aIMG_0861.jpg

aIMG_0860.jpg

MMMM, that looks like some good eating right there.

Anyway, I didn't see you mention bouyancy in your PVC frame. Be sure to dril some holes to allow it to fill with water. Otherwise it's going to be VERY bouyant.

Love the Pleco, wish we had them up here in OK.

MMMM, that looks like some good eating right there.

Anyway, I didn't see you mention bouyancy in your PVC frame. Be sure to dril some holes to allow it to fill with water. Otherwise it's going to be VERY bouyant.

Love the Pleco, wish we had them up here in OK.

The pipe that holds the bag is cut down the middle lengthwise and the "butt of the gun" are open so they let air out pretty quick.

Yeah, they are neat but your ecosystem is better off without them. They are yet another invasive species brought by the pet trade.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom