TG-4 Rig upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious about your setup Skeptic 14 and was hoping you could share your experience with the YS-D2. On my TG4 rig I recently replaced a single YS-03 with a single YS-D2. Have noticed in pool testing and one trip that the YS-D2 sometime seems to randomly fire after taking a shot in TTL mode. The TG4 internal flash is not firing and it is not recording an image from these "random" flashes. I estimate that they are not full power flashes as I can look at it without being blinded. I cannot find anything in the Sea & Sea manual that explains the behavior and was hoping someone with more experience could shed light on this.
Are you firing the YS-D2 with a fiber optic cable from the camera? How is it attached? It it possible there is light entering the cable at the camera end?

I'm curious about your setup Skeptic 14 and was hoping you could share your experience with the YS-D2. On my TG4 rig I recently replaced a single YS-03 with a single YS-D2. Have noticed in pool testing and one trip that the YS-D2 sometime seems to randomly fire after taking a shot in TTL mode. The TG4 internal flash is not firing and it is not recording an image from these "random" flashes. I estimate that they are not full power flashes as I can look at it without being blinded. I cannot find anything in the Sea & Sea manual that explains the behavior and was hoping someone with more experience could shed light on this.

Do you have the ys-d2 in ds-ttl mode or slave ttl? What mode and flash setting on the tg-4?

What fiber optic cable are you using?

Have you tried manual mode, if so did it produce a similar after flash?

Yes, I am firing the YS-D2 with a fiber optic cable and it's attached to the PT-056 housing via PFCA-02 optical cable adaptor. I have noticed there a few nicks (can feel with fingertips) on the fiber optic cable sheathing from when I routed the cable through the fiber optic cable hook on the body of the YS-D2

Skeptic14,
I'm shooting in ds-ttl mode - Light Blue color on back panel
Flash setting is "SLV"
I am using a Sea and Sea Fiber Optic Cable II, 18".
Manual mode on the YS-D2 also produced similar flashes.

Here are a few wide angle macros( not all)
P8020042_1598_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P8020004_1603_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P8020028_1627_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P8020030_1586_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P8020033_1589_edited-1 (Medium).JPG
P8020033_1589_edited-2 (Medium).JPG

Skeptic14,
I'm shooting in ds-ttl mode - Light Blue color on back panel
Flash setting is "SLV"
I am using a Sea and Sea Fiber Optic Cable II, 18".
Manual mode on the YS-D2 also produced similar flashes.

Have you tried setting your tg-4 to fill-in instead of slv?

No, I haven't tried that yet. I think I'll swap to a spare fiber optic cable first and then try the Fill-in setting. Thanks!

Hopefully that's the only issue; The ys-01 doesn't sync as well with the tg-4 in ttl and you have to use the slv mode with remote flash settings but the ys-03 and ys-d2 seem to work seamlessly with the tg-4 simply using fillin.

Hopefully that's the only issue; The ys-01 doesn't sync as well with the tg-4 in ttl and you have to use the slv mode with remote flash settings but the ys-03 and ys-d2 seem to work seamlessly with the tg-4 simply using fillin.
I had a ys-01 that didn't work with the tg-4 in TTL, but I sent it in for a firmware upgrade. Unforunately that wasn't free, but with the latest firmware I can confirm that the TTL function works very well with the ys-01. I also have a ys-03 and as stated above, it does work because it uses newer firmware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom