TG-4 VS TG-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the TG-4 and I'm happy with it. Used it a lot for snorkeling and tubing in caves.

Now I'm going to use it for diving as well. The official limit is 15m depth, from what I read it should be able to survive 18m depth (PADI OWD limit) as well?

It will lock up sometimes if you go deeper and other times it is fine. The tg 4 limit I think is 50 feet

Just as a friendly warning, there are 2 things to consider if you decide to buy one of these cameras. I own the TG-4 and never tried TG-5 but I assume it is pretty much the same thing.

1. TG-4 is a very convenient camera in usage. However, if you zoom in the pictures and look at the details and noise, this is basically iPhone quality. Even my old Canon S95 gives better resolution. So buying this camera with a housing makes no sense to me. I use TG-4 exclusively for snorkeling and shooting grand kids at the beach or swimming pool because it is small and handy.

2. Olympus RAW files are not read by LR versions up to LR5. So unless you already own LR6, you will have to edit your pics in the clumsy Olympus soft that comes with the camera or convert them into TIFFs. Which is OK but takes time and TIFFs are memory hogs. Buying LR6 only for the sake of processing Olympus files is economically insane ($142 for the full standalone version at Amazon or about $10 monthly for the subscription at Adobe).

Last edited:
The s95 doesn't have higher resolution than the tg-4, you are confusing dynamic range, snr and resolution.
Maybe I used the wrong term, though the question of dynamic range is unrelated to the subject. S95 has a 1.45 times larger sensor (7.44x5.58 mm) than TG-4 (6.2x4.6 mm), so having more pixels does not help.

The tg4/5 does what it is supposed to do very well. Most of us just post on the internet and maybe a digital viewer.
This cameras size and price(housing/strobes) makes this a great package for many people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom