TG-4 VS TG-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An earlier poster mentioned the sensor for the TG-4 was a 16M, and TG-5 12M. The TG-4 is a 10M sensor, not 16M.
TG3 doesn't shoot raw, and I think shooting RAW+JPEG is a really good feature. There are photos we've taken that would have been tossed if it wasn't for the RAW. There's just way more room to adjust exposure or white balance without impacting the final JPEG quality.

So in my mind, buy the TG-5 if 4k video is your thing, or else, save money and go with the TG-4. I'd stay away from TG-3.

An earlier poster mentioned the sensor for the TG-4 was a 16M, and TG-5 12M. The TG-4 is a 10M sensor, not 16M

Wrong, the TG-4 features a 16-megapixel sensor.

CZS is correct. Sorry for misleading. I was convinced it was 10M but checked when I got home.

CZS is correct. Sorry for misleading. I was convinced it was 10M but checked when I got home.

No worries, just didn't want there to be any confusion :)

P6290009_1172_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P6290009_1233_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P6290012_1175_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P6290024_1248_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P6290062_1287_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P6290073_1297_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P6290080_1304_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P7070069_1130_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P7070084_1145_edited-1 (Medium).JPG P7070095_1156_edited-1 (Medium).JPG

The above were from our tg4 housed and unhoused. Considering the tg5 but really don't want to buy another housing

The above were from our tg4 housed and unhoused. Considering the tg5 but really don't want to buy another housing

What mode were you shooting those in? I just picked up a TG 4 and am trying to figure out if I want to use the underwater modes or try my hand at playing with the settings right off the bat?

What mode were you shooting those in? I just picked up a TG 4 and am trying to figure out if I want to use the underwater modes or try my hand at playing with the settings right off the bat?
I custom set it/ exp com 0.7 negative, underwater mode setting for color.
Some pix are my wife's and she doesn't do anything but underwater mode

Great pictures. Nice to know where you are at on your settings. Looking forward to test out my new camera and housing in a week from today in Bonaire baby!

I am using a TG4 now in nauticam housing with 2 strobes for wide angle. You can check out the kind of photos you can squeeze out of this little camera on my instagram, search for speedyredfins. I was curious if TG5 is any better than TG4, but after discussion with some photographer friends we came to a conclusion that since the sensor size is the same, it would be very similar end product, esp if you are using strobes where low light is not an issue. For me, my nauticam housing cost me $900 so to shell out that amount of money for some marginal upgrade does not make a lot of sense. But hope one day to borrow a TG5 to really compare the quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom