Thai diving. Experienced diver needing some inspirational dive sites. Newbie in Thai.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all my fellow addicts. Been working to hard for a few years. # weeks in Thailand coming up in FEb.. Would love some help on quality diving Thailand. Thanks in advance!!!

Burma Banks, Similan Islands, Richeleiu Rock for really good stuff, Andamans, Hing Muang and Hin Daeng, - my pick would be burma banks, richeleiu rock, and the andamans and sims.

Fully agree...if the Mantas are in Hin Muang and Hin Daeng these are magical dives. February is peak season for mantas. The Similans sound as if they are recovering from a terrible coral bleaching in 2010...lots of bis stuff was there teh same time last year.

For Feb, yes, Wingy said it all.

This is where I will be... Koh Lanta with Andaman Dive Adventures, headed out to Koh Ha, and Hin Muang and Hin Daeng. I got my cert with them last May, saw my first whale shark over Hin Muang.. now my wife is certified too, and we are going back together.

Hin Daeng/ Hin Muang still offer some great diving so you can't go wrong there. Also right now is a pretty good year for the Similan Islands is yet again with whale sharks and mantas. The Similan Islands can be good for newer divers as it offers plenty for experienced divers and those who are less experienced divers. For the Similan Islands I would also recommend having your AOW cert if you do not already have it. Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock which are just North of the Similan Islands and are also included in most trips can also be hard diving for new divers as you can get an array of currents as these sites are quite exposed.

Myanmar offers some great diving but I would not include the Burma Banks in there; early last year I was on a few research trips there and it did not prove to be so great, this past Nov/ Dec we opted not to go there for that reason. The Mergui Archipelago, Black Rock, Twin Isl, and Shark cave offer the best. There is the Torres Islands further North that offer great diving but it is hard to find an operator that has this area in their trip schedule due to the distance. Myanmar can also be a difficult area for new divers, and this is also an area that you would need to have your AOW if you are not already certified as such.

Similan up to Richelieu liveaboards, or the Hin daeng and Koh Haa area are great dives at this time of year. Our liveaboard has spotted Manta's and Whale sharks many many times already this season and they are still about.
Take the advanced license if you dont already have it so you are not restricted in the sites you dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom