Thai IDC's (or other recommendations)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterDentist

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Here's the story...

I am a dental student and get about 6 weeks off during the summer in which I would like to either work as a DM or do the IDC. With that said, my flexibility is somewhat limited and I have little time to do much research on my own while in school. I was hoping you guys could help.

Any suggestions? I am hoping for Thailand but haven't found anything promising yet that will fit my schedule (school ends June 23). Anyone have any recommendations or good experiences with a particular locale or shop? I really don't know much about Thailand but have heard it is great and would like to go if I can swing it. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The PADI IE for candidates of Phuket IDCs is held for everybody on the same dates, so all the July IDCs will run pretty much in the same period. There are several schools holding IDCs in July. The place I attended IDC is holdinig theirs from the 3rd to the 13th.

Besides Phuket, there are a number of IDCs on Koh Tao. The IE there is a couple days before the one in Phuket.

Have a look at http://www.goproutila.com/ for another alternative. Yes I am biaised. This is who I took my IDC with last year, but if you are thinking outside Thailand too, then definitely work checking out Utila Dive Center's monthly IDCs.

IDC: 14-24th July and IE: 26th/27th fits in with your schedule and they offer pre-IDC prep and diving and post-IDC experience too.

Have fun wherever you decide on. Certainly, becoming an Instructor should not a decision that you should ever look back on and regret, and the people you train with will form a close network of friends and contacts for the future.

Best Fishes,
Simon

Also in Koh Samui. Planet Scuba has an IDC starting end of June.

Jim Hutchinson is working there now as Course Director. I learned a lot from Jim when he was an instructor and I was a DM in Utila (Honduras) in 1998.

Dear Underwater Dentist,

If UR thinkin 'bout doing UR IDC in Phuket then U should do it with Course Director Bjorn Tackmann at Dive Asia who has 1 of the best set up's in PHUKET, THAILAND.

Me and my mates done our IDC and I.E with Bjorn and thought it woz awesome!!

Have a look 4 URself at www.idc-phuket.com 2 C what's on offer or contact me Andy at: andytong2000@yahoo.com as I have been living and working as a Divemaster and Instructor in South Thailand for the past 4 years and might B able 2 help U out Underwater Dentist?????

Kindest regards,

Andy

Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate the input and suggestions. I will have to do some more digging from your websites.

As for Utila, I actually did my DM there just last year at Ecomarine with Tex and Mari (know them, Simon?). Love it and it is a real option but am hoping for somewhat of a new adventure having been there a few times already. Although it is definately my fall back.

Another Q:

I want to be an instructor because I love diving and would love to share my love of diving with others. I regret that I am currently unable to teach my friends and family who are interested. Obviously I will not be using it as a career since I am pursuing my DDS (except maybe a summer here or there) but it is kind of an investment if I will rarely get to use it. Do you think it still worth it? (I am hoping you will all say yes) I guess mostly I am worried about yearly fees or retaining the info or even having the opportunity to teach if I am not affiliated with a dive shop. Are these valid concerns or no big deal?

Happy diving and if you have any more tips (other suggestions for tropical hideouts or IDC's or hints on traveling in Thailand, etc) would love to hear them!

Joining dive club is a real benefit. I met so many friends through diving. Even if you are not going to teach, becoming Instructor is great experience and worth money spend ( i beleive Koh Tao being less expencive option for Thailand).
If you do not plan teaching, you may renew in non teaching status or join Alumni Assosiation and still receive all benefits, such as Undersea Jornal. To renew with non teaching status, you need to contact PADI membership services and talk to PADI Educational Consultant.

Both Bent and Bjorn are top quality CDs. I have worked for both.
Bent's apres-IE qualification parties are a sight to behold.
Getting your OWSI is the first step in many to a fun pastime. Even if you dont plan to teach, keep in teaching status, as it may come in very handy, even in a non-fee paying capacity.
Yeah, you will get the PADI detractors (Put All you Dollars In) etc, but I enjoyed myself and it does give you another string to the soon to be very qualified bow.
I would say go for it, dont listen to the no-no people, and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom