Thailand, impact of the political situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
THIS SHOULD NOT BE A POLITICAL DISCUSSION!!!!

what is the impact so far? Before under PM Samak people told me "not different at all, just because of the Olympic games" and "all my customer canceled the holidays".
No seizing (remember not a political discussion here): maybe had a small impact on the beginning due to the problems in India but now it is in all news and some may even think, India, Bali, Thailand...Asia is dangerous.

What is your experience on the diving industry.

The impact so far is that thousands of people who had their holiday/business trip to Thailand planned or already are in Thailand and wanna go home now are in misery.
And all the Thais who were to make some money from all those holiday and business people are now in misery too.

Other than that things are great.

The impact so far is that thousands of people who had their holiday/business trip to Thailand planned or already are in Thailand and wanna go home now are in misery.
And all the Thais who were to make some money from all those holiday and business people are now in misery too.

Other than that things are great.

What do you think?
I just spoke with 2 older swedish people who shall fligh at the 5th December and they told me it is OK, things will be fixed they don't worry.....that surprised me.

I told my mother to check the airplanes for a good deal, she told me today everything full (no airport but airplane full???????).
One Instructor told me after Emergency law from Samak that 80 % of his customer canceled.

So some people are telling me....everything the same (that can't be true)
Other tell me -80 even before (that sounds too much)
So I look at personal experience.

My fiancé and I are meant to fly to Thailand on Dec 18. I'm not worried yet, but I will be if this is not resolved by the end of this week. I don't want to cancel our trip. We've already paid for our liveaboard. I might need to contact the dive op to see what options we have for getting into Thailand and then getting down to Phuket.

I imagine that the December holiday season is not something the government wants to lose in this already depressed market.

Cheers

Dadvocate: on 2nd Dec is the last hearing and on 13th or 15th (can't recall) they will read the verdict of the party dissolution (is that the right english word??)
So by that day everything should be fixed. (unless something happens)

I hope you are right. After living for 5 years in the Philippines, I've learned that these flare ups tend to burn out quickly. I hope the Thai version goes just as quickly in this case. This can't be good for the people who make their living on tourism.

Man, I don't want to be stuck in China for the winter holiday.

I hope you are right. After living for 5 years in the Philippines, I've learned that these flare ups tend to burn out quickly. I hope the Thai version goes just as quickly in this case. This can't be good for the people who make their living on tourism.

Man, I don't want to be stuck in China for the winter holiday.

Every day there are new rumors, latest is that everything ends on the 2nd Dec.

Again, may those rumors be true, not only for me and mine, but also for the people whose livelihood depends on tourism. I have enjoyed Thailand very much each time I have been there. May this year be the same.

I also hope that the Dec 2 deadline means there will be a peaceful resolution to this mess.

Cheers

I came across the following while reading Thai Visa:

Blog Entries

It shows how the "protesters" are coping inside the airport. Can anyone translate to give us a better idea of what is happening? Are those bags of urine being thrown at police? What gathering would be complete without food vendors. :)

Thanks,

Arizona

I came across the following while reading Thai Visa:

Blog Entries

It shows how the "protesters" are coping inside the airport. Can anyone translate to give us a better idea of what is happening? Are those bags of urine being thrown at police? What gathering would be complete without food vendors. :)

Thanks,

Arizona

I can only tell the news from my staff+wife who are all supporters.
Huge amounts of food there, as many companies (as well our company) donate food.
Government showed bad support for the tourists, basically first everyone just went home, so the PAD jumped in to feed the tourists. Just an hour ago there was an US Tourist (John???) who spoke on the stage how hard it is to fight for Democracy and that he understand them.
Yesterday the police wanted to disperse them: Result now the protesters have the shields of the police.
Army seems to be neutral and there are rumors that the Premier wants to remove Anupong (the Army boss) and Anupong want to remove the Premier.

That is what I know in short version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom