Thanks to "Captain Hook's" in Marathon, FL (Florida Keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a great week of diving with Captain Hook's in Marathon, FL. This week. Their boats were all clean, well maintained, and not overcrowded. All the staff from their captains, to divemasters and even deck hands were very helpful and fun folks. They had no problem hauling my big lp108 tanks to/from the boat. They also seemed to be very environmentally conscious.
They start each trip with a speal about not touching the reef or its inhabitants. Offer to help with buoyancy if you think you might have a problem etc. They even stopped the boat (twice) to pick up garbage in the ocean. Pricing was in line with other operators i've used in the keys.

When they cancelled a trip due to weather, they offered me my choice of reschedule or refund. I had no complaints.

If you're in the middle keys and need a dive op, I don't think you'll be disappointed with these guys.

There were some imperfections, but they're quite minor.
1. They don't provide or fill nitrox (but they did tell me where to get it nearby).
2. No snacks, or bottled water provided. They do have a cooler with cups for free. I only mention it because many operators in the keys I've used do include these things.

Captain Hook's Marina and Dive Center

Glad to hear Captain Hook's get some nice words. They don't get a lot of SB play partially because they are in Marathon, which has some very nice shallow patch reef diving, and maybe because they also take out snorkelers on their big Corinthian (they also have an Island Hopper). It can be said they tend to cater more to the newer diver at times. They certify a lot of divers. I dived with them quite a bit while summering on Big Pine and I always found them to be very helpful and enthusiastic. Denise, one of their Instructor/DMs, is just a "joyful" person. She may be a bit over the top if you're a stoic, all in black diver, but she really loves to dive and she is great with kids. She's the kind of person you want to give a big hug (and I'm not a hugger:fear:) even if it's just to calm her down a bit:). I did my AOW with her husband Dave Vanden Bosch. Nice guy, very experienced diver. They had a scheduling snafu on the morning of one of my dives. Dave was very apologetic and asked if I wanted to hit the pool. I said sure. We spent the day in the pool working on buoyancy and propulsion techniques. I've always been comfy in the water, and I had a hundred or so dives so I was at least a competent, vacation diver at the time, but this was a seminal diving moment for me. It just got easy after that. Dave didn't have to do it. Captain Hook's rescheduled all of my AOW dives. He just enjoyed sharing his love of the sport. I've got a soft spot for Captain Hook's. :) YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom