That does it - now I know my gear requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tparrent

Contributor
Reaction score
Just watched the movie "Open Water" wherein two divers get left on the ocean by the diveboat.

I am now adding the following to my dive kit:

1. 1000 watt VHF

2. 4 flare guns

3. Spear gun

4. 3 shark shock sticks

5. Dynamite

6. Megaphone

7. Side of beef, hold the blood

8. Deslinator

9. Fireworks

10. Very slow swimming, hemophiliac dive buddy

And I am going to make a point of missing my plane to Florida:11:

:lol:​
Never saw the movie, don't guess I will.

Haven't seen the movie, but I take it it wasn't the best diving movie ever created? :11:

I actually was about the rent the movie, when I got to the check out counter the guy said "this is the worst movie I ever saw" and I figured working at blockbuster he'd seen alot of bad ones. So I put it back.

My wife was rather upset with me for dragging her along to see the flick...midway through the film, she bolted to the women's restroom...yeah, boats...low budget filming in water...I've learned my lesson!

tparrent:
Just watched the movie "Open Water" wherein two divers get left on the ocean by the diveboat.

I am now adding the following to my dive kit:

1. 1000 watt VHF

2. 4 flare guns

3. Spear gun

4. 3 shark shock sticks

5. Dynamite

6. Megaphone

7. Side of beef, hold the blood

8. Deslinator

9. Fireworks

10. Very slow swimming, hemophiliac dive buddy

And I am going to make a point of missing my plane to Florida:11:
Taking Diving lessons from that movie is like taking sportmanship lessons from Terrell Owens.
You be better off learning from a real master scuba diver like James Bond....see http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=119968&highlight=thunderball

C-Dawg

I'm a newbie myself - just was O/W certified. I sure agree that Open Water won't ever compete with Gone With the Wind, or even Jaws. But I've read many threads on a lot of forums that have really dissed Open Water, and I have a couple of questions for experienced boat divers, about the teaching opportunities the film provides.

1. Doesn't Open Water really emphasize the need to make sure that whatever charter you take has a good system in place to keep track of who's diving and who's on the boat?

2. Aren't there a lot of good lessons of what not to do in the movie, to prevent being left behind, or being found if you are?

Things that I think I learned (but I'm sure open for correction!)

Stay with the group, or at least stay aware of what's going on around you - a drift dive is probably not the best place to go off on your own (note: I've not yet done either a boat dive or a drift dive).

Always carry at least minimal signalling gear while boat or drift diving (seems to me a sausage, mirror, and Dive Alert would have turned this situation into a non-event).

Leave word with someone other than the dive company of when you expect to return.

Have a basic knowledge of the local geography (our heroes had no idea of where they were, which direction to swim to head back to land, which way the currents were taking them... maybe with that knowledge they could have saved themselves?)

If surfacing between two boats, and you don't know which one is yours, pick one - boats have radios...

Don't get romantically involved with cute but grossly self-absorbed members of the opposite sex.

Mike Nelson:
I'm a newbie myself - just was O/W certified. I sure agree that Open Water won't ever compete with Gone With the Wind, or even Jaws. But I've read many threads on a lot of forums that have really dissed Open Water, and I have a couple of questions for experienced boat divers, about the teaching opportunities the film provides.

1. Doesn't Open Water really emphasize the need to make sure that whatever charter you take has a good system in place to keep track of who's diving and who's on the boat?

2. Aren't there a lot of good lessons of what not to do in the movie, to prevent being left behind, or being found if you are?

Things that I think I learned (but I'm sure open for correction!)

Stay with the group, or at least stay aware of what's going on around you - a drift dive is probably not the best place to go off on your own (note: I've not yet done either a boat dive or a drift dive).

Always carry at least minimal signalling gear while boat or drift diving (seems to me a sausage, mirror, and Dive Alert would have turned this situation into a non-event).

Leave word with someone other than the dive company of when you expect to return.

Have a basic knowledge of the local geography (our heroes had no idea of where they were, which direction to swim to head back to land, which way the currents were taking them... maybe with that knowledge they could have saved themselves?)

If surfacing between two boats, and you don't know which one is yours, pick one - boats have radios...

Don't get romantically involved with cute but grossly self-absorbed members of the opposite sex.
I'd say you've learned some pretty important lessons. And in terms of the last one, I'm not sure about how rewarding romantic relationships are with hopeless narcissists, but you sure want to be real careful about who you buddy up with. At the risk of betraying my hot-button topics, a bad buddy will kill you much faster than a malfunctioning bit of equipment, a shark, dreadful planning, poor bouyancy, or nearly any other sort of cluster you can imagine. If you read around a bit on this board, you'll find more than one woman on it who won't dive with the guy she's married to. There is a lot of wisdom in that.....for either gender.

Other than that however, rumor has it that the flick sucks :D

I bought it, it's okay... however, don't use Into the Blue or The Cave as a pre-certification primer.
Now, The Deep... that was a scuba film!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom