That old Pattaya question again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After all that crap, has anybody actually answered the question yet?

Thanks for the input :) I'll be in Pattaya from tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can sort something out. Failing that it is back to Phangan.

Zab,

Lets us know what you decide and how it works out. It is a competitive market as you can see. I would talk to the instructors/course directors directly if you can. Diving with each operation will also give you a better idea of what your getting into. Location is your call. Some like Pattaya and some don't.

I did my DMT with a Samui operation recommended by a friend. I went diving with them and met personally with the course director. I checked out some others as well and feel I made a good choice. I think meeting with the instructor you will be paired with will be most beneficial. Both operations you are looking at will get the business you need to gain experience. I am sure either will gear you up for the IE when you get to that point.

I dive Pattaya for the wrecks and proximity to BKK, but prefer the Andaman. IMO Samui is more enjoyable to stay longer term. Wrecks aside, Koh Tao sites such as Sail Rock and Chumpon blow Pattaya away.

Good luck,

Arizona

Wow, I make a little airplane trip to the UK and the thread goes nutz while I'm away :)

Just to set the record straight (Kim and Ringo) the info I posted was not in any way or form a "diss" of Seafari, RealDivers or Paradise. It was not subjective, prejorative or opinion. It was simply facts, stating how many of their candidates were on IEs in the past time frame.

This is not a state secret. Anyone can check directly with PADI to get the same details. As Geoff correctly stated, what we did is provide information that is very important in making the decision of where to go to an IDC. People need to know how much experience an IDC/CDC has in actually training instructors. That's not to say that an IDC that doesn't train instructors often is inferior or not current or not quality. But it is a point to be considered when comparing programs.

The fact is the two candidates Seafari put through a few months ago were handled by CD Rick Ray, who used to be Thailand's PADI regional director. He's now mostly out of the diving biz, but still comes back for some shops to handle IDCs on request. We actually worked very closely with Rick during that IDC (with CD John Taylor and MI Gary Tytler) to bring him up to speed on the latest thngs PADI instructor examiners expect and doing our best to help him get his students through. (They passed.)

As for Real Divers, I already said the guys who run that joint are very experienced, established and well known. Pointing out their not an IDC is not a "diss."

Finally, i agree completely with the point that if the idea was to criticize other operations, it's a 2-minute matter to set up a new account using a different iSP through a proxy server and a different IP address to set up a ghost account. I've said it before in the times we have been attacked here by the anonymous posters that we always put our name on what we write. Always will.

Aquanauts no matter what you say - I absolutely disagree with your posts on a public forum about other peoples businesses. Your posts are constantly referring to your competitors in an unfavourable manner. You as a pro should know that. Since you dont - lets simply agree to differ. At the end of the day we are all entitled to our own opinions. You have yours and I have mine.

Regards
Chantal

Finally, i agree completely with the point that if the idea was to criticize other operations, it's a 2-minute matter to set up a new account using a different ISP through a proxy server and a different IP address to set up a ghost account.
Getting away with it takes a whole lot of effort more though.

Aquanauts no matter what you say - I absolutely disagree with your posts on a public forum about other peoples businesses. Your posts are constantly referring to your competitors in an unfavourable manner. You as a pro should know that. Since you dont - lets simply agree to differ. At the end of the day we are all entitled to our own opinions. You have yours and I have mine.

Regards
Chantal

Chantal; I absolutely agree with you. It's not good manner to take down other businesses. I think Aquanauts don't need to do that; as there Training is good; it would be enough to point out the advantages they have. But each to his own.

Anyway I may remind you about your answer in this other Forum where you didn't mention a single shop but many dive businesses. Most of them are doing a very good job. Some may not. But don't trye to be holyer then the pope.

I am sure the OP will find what he is looking for.

And no; I am not set up by any of the Dive Operations in Pattaya. I did Internships with Aquanauts and Mermaids, both have there strengts and weakness so I know what I am talking about.

Ringo:
Your posts are constantly referring to your competitors in an unfavourable manner. You as a pro should know that.

then

Chantal:
One bit of advice - take each step at a time and do not rush into those zero to hero programmes.

:hmmm:

I believe you just got called out "Ringo" :angrymob:

Geoff,

How come Ringo is called out?????

She is not referring to a competitor now, is she?
This is just a general statement, without mentioning any names of competitors or her own DC at all.

Please explain yourself.

You need to refer to a competitor by name for it to be obvious?

Please, join us in the real world limbo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom