Thats It! I'm Buying Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Volo Race fins are half the price simply because they don't have (or need) the 'Patented ABS buckles'.

The new OH Volos are called the Volo Power fins. The new design extends the 2 center channels (the 2 channels that converge into a 'V') all the way up to the foot pocket. The older Volos had 2 short center channels, that stopped mid-way with the 'MARES' logo on the fin itself.

The new OH Volos are now identical to the Volo Race fins, except for the fact that one is OH and the other full-foot.

I'm guessing they did this to strengthen the fin itself since there have been reports of Volos snapping in half on the flat area by the hinge.

Well, this is probably just me but I recently got into the whole DIR thing... got all the gear, and I'm scheduled for the DIRF classes next year.

ME TOO!

Just by chance. I'm looking for a better dive shop, and I run into this guy named of all things Jablonski! Didnt ask about this or that but THIS GUY KNOWS SERVICE.

Also knows diving. Now I'm drooling over the other thing we grew
up with and took for granted...The Back Plate and Wing.

Seems like some things never change. They just hide in plain sight.

Safe diving
:wink:

I own two sets, one set of Xl for when I'm in my drysuit and one set of mediums when I'm in warm water. Both are great!

But here's the kicker, I bought my XL's after DIRF. I got my mediums from an old bag in the rafters of the garage that contained my dad's old diving gear. I'm 39 (holy cow!) so these jets must be 35+ years old! They are in great shape and I try to use them in the pool when I'm DMing or in warm water. These things just keep going on... and on... and on....

By the way, there is a HUGE difference in size. These 'little' medium jets are really small compared to the XL's that I used.

Oh, and ya' gotta put on some spring straps to be really cool!

Until 4 weeks ago, I was diving exclusively in 15 year old Mares Plana Avanti L fins. Basically, they're slightly longer, full foot Quattros (with only the two big channels). I bought a pair of Jetfins off ebay and used them for the first time in my DIR-F pool session. They were certainly great for all the fundamentals work but I would really like to test them out, Jetfins one dive, Mares the next, a few times and see what I think. Interestingly, the Mares are only an inch or two longer than the Jetfins which are a bit wider, but are significantly more flexible. So I think I can see where this test will go--more power and control from the Jets. But I will miss the full foot. Why did Scubapro never make a full foot Jetfin?

Cuz full-foot fins are useless for shore entry dives. I learned this the hard way! :lol:

Just to save you the trouble, the Jets are a LOT stronger than the Mares Plana Avanti fins. I found these fins very, very weak compared to the Quattros... then may just be a bit shorter, and have 2 less channels...but what you don't notice is that the Quattros are a lot stiffer by the foot pocket, and flex more towards the end of the fin... this design transfers more power to thrust.

The Quattros are a close second to the Jets over-all... but fall short in alternate kicks and are longer so there are more chances of you hitting something with them. But just like my Volos, I've found that the Quattros are faster than Jets, using the flutter kick... but this is just me. Mares fins seem to give a lot more thrust for a lot less effort.

The one thing I really, REALLY hate about the Jets... the damn foot pocket... it's so stiff, and un-ergonomic!!! Geez... they could've at least made it a BIT more forgiving! :p I mean, they didn't HAVE to keep the foot pocket from the 1950's!!!! :lol:

I still like full foot fins. I hate putting my feet into those wet booties on later dives.

Back
Top Bottom