The 6 Best Similan Island Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 4: Make Boulder City the first dive of the day.

Is there another name for Coral Gardens, because this name does not ring a bell.

Thanks Stevenl

Lonely Planet calls it Coral Gardens.
Dive Sites of Thailand calls it Coral Gardens or Hobbitland.

Is there a better, mellower evening/night dive site in the south region of Similans on our way to Phuket.

Lonely Planet calls it Coral Gardens.
Dive Sites of Thailand calls it Coral Gardens or Hobbitland.

"Coral Gardens" is the correct name and it's located at Similan #1.
As far as I know is Similan #1 completely closed for diving (and so are Similan #2 and #3).

Steven has a point in regard to Boulder City not being a good choice for Dive 3. But to do it first on Day 4 and still include Elephant Head (as Dive 2?) on the same day would mean backtracking. Maybe better would be to do Elephant Head, East of Eden, Anita's Reef and overnight/night dive at Honeymoon Bay, then on Day 5 do a morning dive on Boulder City then head south to Phuket.

Unfortunately we're on schedule to check out of Thailand and cross over to Pulau Weh.
May just have to stick to the north islands and leave Sharkfin Reef and Boulder City for our trip north in October.

What about "Morning Glory" for a 3rd dive. I can't find any reef characteristics for this dive site though?
AND
What are the pros and cons of a night dive at Richelieu?

What about "Morning Glory" for a 3rd dive. I can't find any reef characteristics for this dive site though?AND..What are the pros and cons of a night dive at Richelieu?

Morning Glory is a gently sloping reef with a white sandy bottom, hard coral bommies and patches with some nice soft corals and fans too. Depth is anywhere between 3 and 25 meter or so. If you get towards the end of your dive towards the southern end of Similan 5 the reef will change into boulders and drop down to 30 odd meters or so.
It's a great place for day and night diving.

Night diving at Richelieu Rock is fine as long as the surface conditions are (moderately) calm and current not too strong.

I really like Three Trees, Shark Fin Reef, Boulder City. They are a little deeper (best for early) and not to many divers.
Elephant Head is nice if there isnt to many people, and East of Eden was really good for the sunset dives.

I also like Ko Tachai much, much more then Richeleu. Specially if there is a little current.

I also like Ko Tachai much, much more then Richeleu. Specially if there is a little current.

Diving at Twin Peaks at Koh Tachai is SO much fun when the current is screaming, bubbles go horizontally and when divers on the mooring-line are flapping like laundry on a washing-line in the wind...

:storm:

Diving at Twin Peaks at Koh Tachai is SO much fun when the current is screaming, bubbles go horizontally and when divers on the mooring-line are flapping like laundry on a washing-line in the wind...

:storm:

:rofl3: Yes, but the dive 2-3 hours before or after (if you time it right) is flat calm with 35m vis. But then, even with the currents its still a blast to play hide and seek behind the boulders and watch a Leopard Shark swim by without any effort.

and watch a Leopard Shark swim by without any effort.
Or while you are finning full force to get back into hiding be overtaken by a puffer fish, which can hardly swim at all.
These experiences show you again that this is not our natural environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom