The airlines suck! New fees! Complain now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marksm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anchored in Colorado...stationed in Florida
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Check back here for new info and a letter you can print and sign and send. This is crap crap crap. Bottom line. $80 Each way for scuba gear! Read on!

Northwest

Scuba Equipment
Northwest accepts scuba equipment as checked luggage only. Scuba equipment is not included in a customer's free luggage allowance and is subject to a charge of $80.00 USD (each way) per item.

One (1) item of scuba equipment is defined as one (1) or a combination of the following:

One (1) empty scuba tank
One (1) pair swimming fins

One (1) scuba generator
One (1) snorkel

One (1) tank harness
One (1) knife

One (1) tank pressure gauge
One (1) speargun

One (1) diving mask
One (1) safety vest

Scuba tank must be empty. If the spear gun has a CO2 cartridge, the cartridge must be empty.

Northwest does not accept liability for loss, damage, or delay of scuba equipment. Excess valuation insurance may not be purchased for transport of scuba equipment

This is the page – go down to Sports Equipment…http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/specialitems.html#scubaequip

Or this one!

American

Scuba Tanks
1 scuba tank, scuba regulator, tank harness, and tank pressure gauge.
$80
70 lbs
Regulator valve must be completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside.

This is the page – go down to Sports Equipment…

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInf...ance.jhtml?anchorEvent=false#Sports Equipment

This is old news. The airlines have had these regulations for years now.

Bottom line: If you advertise that you're a diver on your checked luggage, then you are going to pay for that opportunity to brag.

After the bag has left the ticket counter or skycap, no one looks to see what you've got other than TSA, and they don't care about anything other than explosives, or other federally prohibited items.

The Northwest regulation is not new -- it was in their rules at least six months ago. We have since taken two trips involving travel on Northwest with scuba gear and have not been subject to the charge, even though we brought a TANK home with us from Hawaii in August.

I can't imagine -- oh, actually I CAN; airlines are capable of anything -- an airline charging someone $80 for a pair of fins in their luggage.

And my regulator has gone as carry-on each time, without comment from Northwest, Korean Air, and Virgin Blue.

I am pretty sure that this policy is new in that you pay 80 if you just have snorkly and fins or just a mask. Yes we used to pay for tanks. The travel agent at the scuba store is up in arms because she says this is a new policy and she used to work for AA. maybe I'm wrong. i hope you are right.

Use the Skycap. the tip is the best money you can spend....

It's been a pretty regular policy for a lot of airlines to charge extra if you tell them you have scuba gear. 80 dollars actually is one of the smaller charges I think.

I have just never told the airlines what was in my bag as i checked it in with them. As long as the bag has been under weight, thye don't usually ask. I tell them vacation stuff if they ask any questions. No extra charge for that, and I carry my regs and computer on as carry baggage.

DeputyDan:
Use the Skycap. the tip is the best money you can spend....

It's saved me hundreds of dollars over the years.

marksm:
I am pretty sure that this policy is new in that you pay 80 if you just have snorkly and fins or just a mask. Yes we used to pay for tanks. The travel agent at the scuba store is up in arms because she says this is a new policy and she used to work for AA. maybe I'm wrong. i hope you are right.

It's not new. Don't believe everything you hear in a scuba store.

Are you really schlepping tanks for vacation diving?

Back
Top Bottom