The Airport in Cozumel - arrival insanity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The smartest thing Cozumel could do is make that arrival process more comfortable and less stressful. Here are some ideas I have off the top of my head:

1) Kicking out those Timeshare salesmen. - I agree with you 100% here. I know they are simply doing a job, but they choose how they want to close their sale. I also agree, that bombarding guests immediately upon arrival when they are tired, hungry and excited to be starting their vacation is a horrible way to be greeted into the country. They are deceptive, and that's the issue I have with them. Don't pretend to be the "Tourist Advisory" committee when you're really trying to manipulate people into time share presentations by offering transportation help and "FREE" excursions, rental cars, etc. Be honest and let people decide for themselves. If someone wants a timeshare, they will find one!
2) Have all the rental car vendor counters there - it's not the airport keeping them out - there are plenty of vacant spots in the airport - it's the rental car companies decision of whether or not to be on site or not
3) Have visible pay phones - not as easy as it sounds - pay phones simply aren't the same here - you need a phone card to use them (unless something has changed, I haven't tried to use a pay phone in many years)
4) Normal taxi service. - again, that's a logistical issue - but it could and should be an option with proper planning
5) An information counter staffed with multi-lingual people who are not out to sell you anything. - actually, during high season the tourism board has a booth set-up as you exit customs. I haven't seen them there lately, so I was assuming it was because of low season.

There is an exchange booth - American Express - right as you exit customs. Their rate is usually no different than in town...maybe a point or two different, but that's the price of convenience - no different than any other airport in the world, including the US, so they are as "fair" as anywhere else.

There is an exchange booth - American Express - right as you exit customs. Their rate is usually no different than in town...maybe a point or two different, but that's the price of convenience - no different than any other airport in the world, including the US, so they are as "fair" as anywhere else.

They're actually much more fair that some exchange houses in airports. I was forced to change some money in the Atlanta airport so I'd have enough to take the bus from Cancun, and they charged a 10% fee, plus their rate was $11.23 when the real rate was around $13. Ouch!:shakehead:

They're actually much more fair that some exchange houses in airports. I was forced to change some money in the Atlanta airport so I'd have enough to take the bus from Cancun, and they charged a 10% fee, plus their rate was $11.23 when the real rate was around $13. Ouch!:shakehead:
Everything at airports is usually more expensive. But I paid in USD to take the bus from Cancun...?

Everything at airports is usually more expensive. But I paid in USD to take the bus from Cancun...?

Yeah, I realized that later. I'm so used to only having pesos that I guess I forgot USD would work just fine. Oh well, live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom