The Art of Tipping- (Utila all inclusive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'm from the UK, and I just have a real problem getting my head round the whole US approach to tipping. I know it's something I'm going to have to do on Utila, but when you're used to diving in the Red Sea, and the Far East, where tipping is definitely not the norm, it really grates!

To me, a standard level of service should always be included in the price you pay. If you get exceptional service, then it's nice to reward it with something extra.
But I know from experience, (from going out to eat with American friends in Florida), that even if the service has been appalling, and the food cold and inedible, they'll still leave 10%. What's with that?!!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a cheapskate, and I will certainly be tipping the resort staff and DMs when I visit Utila in May.

And yes I know there are lots of arguments about how staff rely on tips to make a decent living - well why not pay them a decent wage in the first place?!!

I just think life is much simpler when you don't have to agonise about how much you should be tipping.

And now.....flame away!!

nstead:
OK, I'm from the UK, and I just have a real problem getting my head round the whole US approach to tipping. I know it's something I'm going to have to do on Utila, but when you're used to diving in the Red Sea, and the Far East, where tipping is definitely not the norm, it really grates!

To me, a standard level of service should always be included in the price you pay. If you get exceptional service, then it's nice to reward it with something extra.
But I know from experience, (from going out to eat with American friends in Florida), that even if the service has been appalling, and the food cold and inedible, they'll still leave 10%. What's with that?!!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a cheapskate, and I will certainly be tipping the resort staff and DMs when I visit Utila in May.

And yes I know there are lots of arguments about how staff rely on tips to make a decent living - well why not pay them a decent wage in the first place?!!

I just think life is much simpler when you don't have to agonise about how much you should be tipping.

And now.....flame away!!
Many in the US would probably agree with you, but we seem to be stuck with this system.

nstead:

Yeah I agree completely. But, as it stands, in an effort to make your cost look as low as possible, DMs are paid next to nothing and rely on tips. It's really just a deferred cost, and I fully agree with you that it would be better if it were included in the cost of the package and passed along to the DMs that way.

Do DMs in the Red Sea make more money? Are charters more expensive?

BTW, I think 10% is pretty low. If you're basing it on cost of trip, 20% is generally considered the norm in other service industries (eg restaurant service). It takes a pretty bad experience for me to tip less than 20% at a restaurant, and I usually tip more. In many states (not California), it is legal to pay wait staff well below minimum wage. Same story with DMs. I think everyone should be paid a fair wage, and the practice of paying below Federal minimum wage (already ridiculously low) so that customers have to make up the difference directly is absurd. I guess that's how they make the cost look lower without actually lowering the cost to the consumer.

Susan,

Do I get a tip?? LOL

Regards,

nstead:
.....Don't get me wrong - I'm not a cheapskate, and I will certainly be tipping the resort staff and DMs when I visit Utila in May.

Oh, I SO totally agree! It's not my responsibility to pay the wait staff's salary. If they aren't getting paid enough, they need to take it up with their employer and not expect me to make up the deficit. I tip based on the service I recieve. If they've done nothing more than bring my food to the table and bring the bill I see no reason to tip anything. If I've requested changes or asked for something not on the menu, I'll tip appropriately....by MY scale, not theirs.

We generally tip DM's and boat captain about 10%, more for additional service.

For me it's simple.......I treat other dive professionals with the same respect and generosity that I would expect for doing a good job under like circumstances.

Regards,

Hi all - well, I'm amazed, I didn't really get flamed! It's good to know that there are others that think the same.

Damselfish - I agree, I think we're stuck with it.

Humu....pua'a: I don't know what the going rates of pay are for DMs in the Red Sea, and I'm not saying they never get tipped - but they don't generally expect it. Tipping them more than 10%, even for really good service would be unusual.
I wasn't aware that it's legal to pay wait staff and DMs less than minimum wage - what's the point of the minimum wage then?!!
When I first visited the states, in the 70's, 10% was pretty much the standard tip, and if they'd had bad service, people would happily leave nothing. It seems that as time has passed, the percentage tip is going up and up. In another 30 years I guess you'll be giving 50% or more!

Cudabait: But the problem is that in the US, everyone's used to tipping 20%, so that's the kind of generosity you expect. My expectations would be much lower - so are you saying that it's OK for me to tip according to them?! Respect is an entirely different issue, and to me has absolutely nothing to do with money.

The other thing that irritates me (and again, I'm sure we're stuck with it), is that divers from the west (not just the US, I admit, but they're probably the main culprits) introduce tipping expectations in places where there were none previously.

I went diving in Fiji about 10 years ago, and at the time no-one expected any tips at all. I had particularly good service from one Divemaster there, and so I tipped him $5 - he was completely confused, and didn't understand why I was paying him more than the agreed price. (which I know makes me a culprit too!)

Went back again last year, and found that there are lots more American tourists (hardly saw any last time), and now all the DMs expect at least a 10% tip.

As I said last time, I will tip whatever the going rate is (provided I get adequate service), but I know that a lot of UK divers come across as mean when they visit the US & Carribbean. We're not - we're just not used to this whole tipping thing.

I agree with the posters questioning giving a 20% tip when service is appaling (and I'm from the US). I personally kind of see tipping as a gradation in restaurants:
Absolutely abismal to the pt of being completely ignored (has happened twice to me in all my years): No tip
Subpar service but you still leave being fed, if somewhat unsatisfied: 10%
Standard service: 15%
Nice and consistent service: 20%

I get rather annoyed when I have a cab ride or what have you and the driver expects 20% on top of the going rate (which already provides the cab company with $2.70 the second I get in the cab plus a large chunk for each mile/time increment). So usually, 10% maybe...

Now for diving, I'm not sure how this works. Personally, if it's not great service I think I'd be concerned! ;-) As far as tipping for OW certification classes, is their a norm in the Caribbean?

I also use the 10% guide for dive tips. So far I've given it to the dive masters directly. If there's no envelope, I think this is a good way to make sure it gets to all who have been working with you.

Regarding maid service, we leave a tip each day for the maid. Since there are often different maids each day, this way, the maid who cleans your room on the last day isn't the only one to get a tip - whoever cleaned your room each day got the tip.

It was funny in Mexico when we left a note in English with the tip, the maids wouldn't touch the money. We asked the front desk how to write in Spanish that the tip was for maid service, and then the maids started taking the tips.

I always tip my DM or Boat Captain but always make sure they will split it with the other crew. 10% is my norm, however, if a crew goes out of the way for me and takes me where I want, lets me dive till I'm ready to come up (within the limits set forth - usually 500 PSI) and goes that extra mile, I will tip 20 - 25%. I have been told I have been excessive, but I feel as though my one or two weeks per year are worth it! Besides, I always pick a dive op that has a great repuation and gives impeccable service! When I return, they are ALWAYS happy to see me and give me the excellent service they know I will tip for!

And to chime in on wait staff, I agree with many here, if they provide NO service, are not attentive and the food is cold, I think it bites we tip them anyway. But I do. It has become a bad habit!

Back
Top Bottom