The Bends? Is this a symptom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

417Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not sure where to put this post..
I will start off with I have always had troubles with my neck. I had a car wreck when I was 16 and broke the ends off of some of my upper vertabre. Well after the bonne terre mine treasure hunt and carrying the gear up and down the steps I had a bad pain on the back of my neck. About 2.5 weeks later I where a neck brace and the pain is gone in 4 days in my neck. And I have the muscle pull in the left side of my back under my shoulder blade that is pretty painful. But I decide to go diving anyways and we go to the local dam on the 25th of june and the to these bluffs on the 26th. I was using nitrox 30% on both dives. Max depth at the dam was 116 and never exceeded the no deco time. The dive went well with no issues. I dont think I had any pain then. We then go to the bluffs the next day. Only hitting 70ish feet for 30 mins. Came up with a sever headache. SI was 15 mins headache was starting to go away. So we went back under and I made it to only 15 feet when my ears wouldnt clear so I aborted the dive.

Now ever since that weekend I have had this awful severe nerve feeling pain. It is only in my left upper side and (feels) like my left shoulder is dislocated and a rib out of place. This pain goes away when I lay down on my back or on my stomach with my head turned right. As soon as I get up it hurts like crazy especially when I sit still. I took Valiume, percocet, and then had to take time released morphine to finally get rid of the pain. But now the morphine has went away and I am still feeling this pain which is more noticable in the top of my shoulder by the socket.
In this picture the top three spots.
A00064F01.jpg

So if it is somehow a bubble in my joint will it just eventually pass through my skin or do I have to go to a chamber if it were the bends?

Call D.A.N - divers alert network for an expert opinion.
Diving Emergencies (Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)
1-919-684-9111
International Emergency Hotlines
Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm (ET
)
All Other Inquiries
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948

I called the non emergency line but they were closed today. And did not think that this was an emergency since I have had this for over a week.

I have degenerating disks in my neck and what you describe sounds like a nerve issue. You may need steroid injections to reduce the swelling that may be pinching a nerve.

I have had herniated disks in the past and was told I have arthritis of a 90 yr old in my neck so its a possibility. I thought it was a nerve issue myself but was unsure.

I don't think it's the bends, probably nerve/muscle related issues due to your previous injuries but call DAN anyhow.

I dislocated a rib some years ago and always had back/neck issues crop up from time to time and once very severely after diving. likely something about the muscles/positions used in diving that really aggrevated the injury, not to mention the dehyrdating nature of the sport. I know it sounds weird but once you heal up have you ever considered pilates (i've heard yoga has a similar effect)? I've been doing it a couple years now and my back has never felt better.

Back
Top Bottom