The Blow-job...yes or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by dvleemin
So should you wash off your first stage after putting on the dust cap??

Darryl
Serious answers for a serious question...
Good = dip in rinse barrel
Better = rinse with running fresh water
Best = soak in fresh water
Anal = all three in order given
Not wise = spray forcefully with fresh water
OK = keep damp and dive a lot
Not OK = none of the above and let dry
Even worse = *Not OK* + leave in hot garage unused for months
Very Bad = *Even worse* + go diving without first checking it over
Ultimate Evil = *Very Bad* + take it in a bag on a dive trip to Fiji

So I dropped off my regs at the LDS for servicing, and when I picked them up, was told that there were salt crystals in the 1st stage and through the 2nd stage hose to the 2nd stage.

I'm guessing what happened is that the boat jockey on my last dive trip did a "blow job", and the water in the 1st stage transferred to the 2nd stage by the action of breathing on subsequent dives.

My instructor asked us to always use the "blow" method. I guess I've never considered using a towel instead.

Hmm...

I have 2 apeks TX100s with DINs. I leave the caps on the boat/shore while diving.

I also have the apeks DIN/yoke adapter I used all last week in the Caymans. That has the little rubber ball thing attached so I simply wiped it off and stuck it in place after each dive.

The gear prety much never dried the whole week (17 dives in 6 days) and got freshwater rinsed after each dive except for the 1st tank on 2 tank boat dives.

I love the simple solution, just don't take it in the water !

You're right! This is a lot of hot air for such a minor thing. I suppose I could be accused of being biased since I make a lot of money servicing regulators that have had a few drops of salt water in them.
Two things however have not yet been discussed.
1. There are a dozen different dust caps and some are more likely to be a problem than others. Even the most common cone-shaped style comes in several versions. The first thing you need to do is ensure that your dust cap does not trap much water. Quite a few have a large hole inside right where it fits over the regulator filter which might hold as much as 1/2 ounce of salt water. It's also very difficult to get all the water out of that type. The easiest to clean are the hard rubber balls. So first you need to have a good dust cap with a flat, easy-to-clean surface.
BTW, I don't tell my students to remove the cap during a dive. I don't believe it's necessary; it's easier to lose in your dive bag; while looking for it or getting it out of your bag, salt water can drip or roll into the reg; and many are attached to the regulator by a thick rubber strap that requires you to remove the yoke screw to take the cap off.
2. Trying to dry the cap with the tank air is annoying at best and inefficient at worst. As stated above, unless you are very careful, you may actually blow sea water into the reg. I also can't see the towel drying as practical. I want to dry the dust cap immediately after I take the reg off - not hold it in my hand while I fish around for a dry towel (on a dive boat yet!). Why not hold the cap in your hand, look at it to ensure you are blowing at the right side and blow on it until it is dry and free of residue? Yes - blow on it with your mouth. It's quiet, controlled, warm, dry, cheap and you can watch the entire process so the cap gets dry and the reg stays protected.

I HATE IT when people use there tank to blow off the cap.

Whats wrong with taking a deep breath and using your lungs to blow water off. You are divers aren't you? So you must have good lungs

The problem with putting the dust-cap in your pocket or bag or someplace like that is that while it may remain dry, this may potentially invite another substance...DUST! (Or pocket lint or worse yet, sand) all of which you definitely don't want near your first stage. To ensure there's no dust, you'll have to blow it dry anyway!

As to the use of the tank to blow the cap dry, if your lungs aren't sufficient, try using the air out of your 2nd stage when you purge it. Then you immediately take the first stage off, and your little cap or ball or whatever is dry and ready to immediately go into it's position protecting your 1st stage. Then no one will have to endure the loud sounds from the tank method. :boom:

otter-cat:)

Leave the cap attached to the reg.

If you're on a day trip boat making 2 or 3 dives then after the first and second dives transfer the reg straight from the old tank to the new tank - there's no need to use the dust cap at all.

After the final dive blow the dust cap dry - it doesn't need much air, certainly there is no need to use so much that the O ring flies off and you annoy your fellow divers. If you can't wash the reg off in fresh water on the boat wait till you get home and wash it off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom